Need help with layout possibilities

Michaelt

Michael T
I have been going back and forth between HO and N scale layouts for quite a while, and cannot make a decision on which to build. Here are my parameters.

Available space is a spare bedroom; taking out the bedroom door I have a space that is following:

Wall 1: 8ft,

Wall 2: 10ft

Wall 3: 8ft, window is 45" from the corner; window is 48" wide, 30" from floor.

Open space: 10ft

Open space is the connection of the square; in the room is a closet, computer desk, shelving, and bedroom door that precipitates the 8ft measurement.

I realize I could put more into an N scale layout, but I'm considering an HO layout...with that thought, would this space; 8ft x 10ft be considered a decent space to install a layout?

Thoughts?

michael

Michael, there are a lot of HO layouts that size and even smaller. Yes, you can have more in N scale in the same space, so it really comes down to what you want to accomplish, what you are comfortable handling/seeing, and just plain ole personal preference.

Some very good advice already given. Some things to think about......

How good is your eyesight?
How steady are your hands?
Are you going to have mostly RTR equipment?
Do you like to detail and scratch build?
Are you planing on moving to a place that will give you more room sometime in the future?
What type of operations do you have in mind?

The answers to those questions may help you decide. If I was limited to a space that small and had good eyesight and steady hands and knew that the space available was not going to change, I would most likely choose 'N' scale over HO because I want to do more operations and have a larger area modeled. Write out your "givens and druthers", and go from there. There is no right or wrong decision here. It basically comes down to what is best for you.

Have fun!

Back