Need help to plan layout

Well after some time I am not happy with the last plan. So here is an update on what I am doing. I have always wanted a double main line.
New.jpg

I see a small problem, or two :)

In the pic I've uploaded I've put a red box around the problem area. 2 reverse loops.

While usually not a problem, the length of the reverse loops are normally the length of your longest train which I believe is including trucks/carriages. Those more versed in reverse loops will be able to offer better advice, just my 2 cents.

Angie

th_reverseloopsx2.png

The reverse loops will be longer than in the pic, but will be shorter than my longest train.
Do you think this will work?
Just cut a 1/4" to 1/2" isolation block(dead track) at both ends of the loop?
loop.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

Don't know why you have the two tracks on top & right sides crossing each other. That's NOT what's done in the real RR world between two parallel tracks. It's just more maintenance than they want to deal with. And of course increases the chances for you having derailments! But if you're using Kadees w/ trip pins the Xings will definitely catch any low hanging trip pins. LOL

Those tracks are going over and under. The yellow tracks are going to be on top along side the mountain. And the red tracks are going through the mountain.
Image2.jpg

Still seems like a whole lot of grade separation work for what reason? Just put the outside track against the wall behind a backdrop and keep the main & siding parallel to each other.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody recommend John Armstrong's book, Track Planning for Realistic Operation. That book is a must-read for anybody who's planning to build their Dream Layout.

I completely built my former layout before I ever even looked at this book, and once I did, I discovered numerous mistakes - like hidden 'S' curves, tracks too far back to be reached easily, and yard turnouts that were too sharp. Reading it before construction would have saved me lot of aggravation.

If you really want to start laying track and running trains, I'd say go ahead - but try not to do anything permanent [like cementing the track or applying ballast]. First get the Armstrong book and start reading thru it. Then you can rearrange your track as you discover better ways to do things.

What are you trying to say? Is my plan not good enough?
Just kidding.
I really do not know what I am doing. I do have lots of books on train modeling. My problem is after I read something, I forget what I have read. The best way for me to learn is to do it.

My bad - I didn't realize you'd already been reading those books!:eek:

Yeah, definitely get started on something - just realize that you'll probably be wanting to make changes sooner than you think.

I've just finished tearing down my old layout, now I'm ready to start building a new one. This time I'll host several operating sessions on it before I apply any scenery or ballast.

Now how would you know I had books? LOL

I did have most of my track laid down(no glue or ballast) according to my first plan. But want to add another main line and reverse loop. I know that my latest plan is not good, but I just can't imagine the layout any out way. Now if someone could draw up a great plan, I would use it. But until that happens, I will have to use my plan.

Now how would you know I had books? LOL

I did have most of my track laid down(no glue or ballast) according to my first plan. But want to add another main line and reverse loop. I know that my latest plan is not good, but I just can't imagine the layout any out way. Now if someone could draw up a great plan, I would use it. But until that happens, I will have to use my plan.

I don't think it's all the bad. I say go for, just build it, run trains and see what you like, it may turn out really fun to operate.

Back