Need help picking a HO diesel locomotive

ChuggaChugga

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of researching what I'd like to be my very first purchase in this hobby -- a diesel locomotive.

I think I'd like my first train layout to have a freight train similar to what could've been seen on the Pennsylvania Railroad in the 1950s. I understand that the early 1950s was a transition period between steam and diesel locomotives. I did some research on Wikipedia >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Railroad#Diesel_locomotives

That article is about diesel engines used by the PRR, but here's what I found out:

-In the 1940s, the PRR purchased many EMD E7 locomotives. I love the way those look, but apparently those engines were used for passenger service. I want a freight train setup, so that won't work.

-The PRR also bought some Baldwin DR-12-8-1500/2 "Centipedes". I read an article about them and I'm not sure if they were used primarily for freight or passenger, but either way I'm not interested in this one since it didn't have a very good reputation when it existed. I'd prefer to model a train that has a better reputation, historically speaking. Plus all those wheels are pretty funny looking if you ask me.

-The PRR invested also in Baldwin DR-6 locomotives, but those too suffered from various problems, and were mostly used for passenger service.

-The last diesel engine referenced in this article is the EMD E8. I really like the look of the EMD E7 and E8, but the E8 (like the E7) was apparently also used primarily for passenger service.

Any thoughts or suggestions? One thing I know for sure, is that I prefer the sleek, rounded off nose shape of the E7 type of locomotive over the excessively boxy/squared look of other locomotives, like a EMD SD40-2.

Thanks everyone! :)

You might try looking here for historical Pennsy info: http://www.prrths.com/
Do alot more research about your RR before you end up buying the wrong loco. But if the Pennsy was like most RRs F units were used for both freight & pax trains in the '40s & '50s just different paint schemes.

F7's were used in freight service as well. Alco's were popular such as thr RS2 and 3 and many other models. 3;( had some early SW models as well as GP models such as GP7's.

How bout this chugga?
DCC and sound included!
-Art

Here is the matching B-unit for same price $89 with DCC and sound

Last edited by a moderator:
Chugga, I don't know if this is true, but I read somewhere that the PRR probably had at least one of every first gen. diesel produced. Here's a few first gen. freight diesels on my layout.

EMD: F7AB's, F3AB's, and GP7's.

P1030093.jpg

P1050782.jpg

P1030566.jpg

Alcos: RS1,2,&3, FAB2's, and RS11.

P1030981.jpg

P1050173.jpg

P1040590.jpg

Baldwin shark:

P1040083.jpg

And, everyone should have at least one steam engine, I1sa, was still running in the transitions period.

P1050482.jpg

Chugga, I don't know if this is true, but I read somewhere that the PRR probably had at least one of every first gen. diesel produced. Here's a few first gen. freight diesels on my layout.

EMD: F7AB's, F3AB's, and GP7's.

P1030093.jpg

P1050782.jpg

P1030566.jpg

Alcos: RS1,2,&3, FAB2's, and RS11.

P1030981.jpg

P1050173.jpg

P1040590.jpg

Baldwin shark:

P1040083.jpg

And, everyone should have at least one steam engine, I1sa, was still running in the transitions period.

P1050482.jpg

Always a treat to see your photos.

I had a shark in the 70's; man that brings back memories.

I know this is not a thread about the layout pictured above--and I am new here so I have to say WOW!!! AWESOME LAYOUT!!

Wow, thank you everyone for your help! The photos posted by GrampsTrains (especially that first one) are just breathtaking! I hope to be that good at making layouts someday. I'm sure when I eventually make my first one that it will leave a lot to be desired -- but that's all part of the fun!

So, as is typical for new hobbyists like myself, your responses have brought up new questions for me. Here are some of them:

1. I know that I want to have the DCC setup to run the trains. I see that this locomotive is capable of doing that. Are there any differences in DCC? Like, is there a DCC 1.0 and DCC 2.0? Or is it all the same and all compatible?

2. The "matching B unit" -- what's the point of those? The way I understand it is that those locomotives exist for muscle power only - they don't have any space for the engineer the way the A unit would. Is this correct?

3. So if the above is correct, when an A/B unit setup would pull a train, would the engineer in the "A" (front) locomotive car have to control the throttle/power of both units at the same time?

4. Also regarding the A/B units - in model trains, do the B units actually provide power to the train as well like they would in real life? Or are they just empty dummy cars? ... which brings me to my next question....

5. If a B unit locomotive was required (in real life) to haul an extra load -- would a actual functioning B unit in a model train setup also be required? For example, if you had a very long and/or very heavy load of cars behind your locomotive, maybe you'd need extra pull to get up to speed?

I love learning about this. Thanks again everyone for the help! I think I know which locomotive I want to go for now. :)

Wow, thank you everyone for your help! The photos posted by GrampsTrains (especially that first one) are just breathtaking! I hope to be that good at making layouts someday. I'm sure when I eventually make my first one that it will leave a lot to be desired -- but that's all part of the fun!

So, as is typical for new hobbyists like myself, your responses have brought up new questions for me. Here are some of them:

1. I know that I want to have the DCC setup to run the trains. I see that this locomotive is capable of doing that. Are there any differences in DCC? Like, is there a DCC 1.0 and DCC 2.0? Or is it all the same and all compatible?

2. The "matching B unit" -- what's the point of those? The way I understand it is that those locomotives exist for muscle power only - they don't have any space for the engineer the way the A unit would. Is this correct?

3. So if the above is correct, when an A/B unit setup would pull a train, would the engineer in the "A" (front) locomotive car have to control the throttle/power of both units at the same time?

4. Also regarding the A/B units - in model trains, do the B units actually provide power to the train as well like they would in real life? Or are they just empty dummy cars? ... which brings me to my next question....

5. If a B unit locomotive was required (in real life) to haul an extra load -- would a actual functioning B unit in a model train setup also be required? For example, if you had a very long and/or very heavy load of cars behind your locomotive, maybe you'd need extra pull to get up to speed?

I love learning about this. Thanks again everyone for the help! I think I know which locomotive I want to go for now. :)
1. DCC is DCC but different brands have their own pros and cons. I have an NCE Power cab and am very happy with it. Many here are Digitrax proponents. No there is not DCC 2.0 to worry about. They all do the same things just different bells and whistles.....no pun intended lOL
2. & 3. Yes B units were used to increase tractive effort (pulling power). The engineer in the A unit would have control over the B unit as well.
4. & 5. B units come in engineless "dummy" varieties and powered versions. Obviously the powered ones cost more and yes they will pull longer model trains if they have power. The purpose of B units is to model what was used at the time in real life. Hope this helps.
-Art

Thanks, it helps very much! Most of the model cars I've seen (I think they're called "rolling stock") are extremely light weight, so I'd imagine that unless you have lots and lots of them, and maybe are trying to tug them up hill, that you should be fine with just the A unit. -- I'm speaking strictly about model RR here, not real life.

If you are searching for B-units you won't find them in the rolling stock section. Look in the locomotive section. Many times they are sold as A+B as a set. Most B units are not powered to save money. The powered B units should be clearly marked as powered. I got a Broadway limited Union Pacific E7 A+B set with a dummy b unit. Someday I would like to add a powered A or B unit with sound to go with my set.
-Art

All of my B units are dummies. One because I don't have the grades or the layout size that would require them and two since I'm on DCC I don't want to try to consist them (program them to run together)
I'm kind of partial to cab units so my suggestion would be either an F-7 and an Alco FA2.
Just my opinion

Hey CC, don't worry about difficulty with learning DCC. Ya go through a little learning curve and pretty soon, you're MUing locomotive just like operating your cell phone. It's not rocket science.

Back