Need help figuring out what a set is worth

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

JayCeeBee

Hi all,
I know nothing about model trains, but I just picked up a "complete set" (I was told) of IHC HO scale trains, all are NIB.
There are 2 engines and 19 different cars, the engines are
1). Loco GG-1 Premier M9675 PRR
2). Loco GG-1 Premier M9669 PRR
a couple of the cars are #47744, #47741, #48211, #48212.
I was hoping someone could help me figure out what they are worth.
Thanks in advance,
John B

migalyto

John, I don't know the value of this set. If you go to eBay, and search the sold listings to see if anything like this has sold in the past, and what it went for. Be sure to check both auctions, and buy it now. There are several members here that are very knowledgeable about older sets, and a ballpark figure based off of what they have seen things go for at train shows.

ShermanHill

I was hoping someone could help me figure out what they are worth.
The 'worth' of just about anything, is the (a) inherent value you put upon it, OR the (b) value you consider reasonable for exchange. People will tell you "X is worth $Y" but until you get someone to offer $Y, the 'worth' is still (a).

Espeefan

John, I don't know the value of this set. If you go to eBay, and search the sold listings to see if anything like this has sold in the past, and what it went for. Be sure to check both auctions, and buy it now. There are several members here that are very knowledgeable about older sets, and a ballpark figure based off of what they have seen things go for at train shows.
What he said. Older IHC stuff is pretty common. There's tons of it at swap meets.

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
John- I am not an expert on old train sets, but I have been in the hobby as a cheapskate for several years.
IHC was manufactured in Eastern Europe in mostly generic versions of popular train equipment. Imported sets were not highly detailed or accurate to actual prototypical equipment or paint schemes. Most often sold as Sante Fe or Pennsylvania RR sets in big box or department stores for $40 to $60 in the '70s and '80s.
Hope this info helps you.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.