Need advice please.

Two-Tone-Green

Hey guys most of you prob. know me from RRF, same user name and everything..

So I got Proto 2000 0-8-0 (as seen in picture) and I got it a while ago go now. I got interested in Models in elementary school, then never had time to do it in High School, So recently I took it out again saying this time there is no turning back!

Here is my 5min job of putting my layout together just to run my steamer, the only problem is that hen I'm switching or going around the oval it seems to be quite "jerky", When its alone its far more "jerky" but if it has a good sized train (6 cars) it still does this problem but to a lesser extent. Also the Light on the front of the unit also flickers with the jerkiness.

Yes the track is clean and I have cleaned the Unit to a little bit of improvement.

I also have 2 Kato BCR SD40-2's and a C425 but they aren't here, so I assume its the Steamer, any advice on what I should do?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill check now, but its only at slow speeds, I stopped it for 2 min and started slow and it started to jerk, if it happened in real life I think I would be going though piles and piles of couplers :p

Couple factors might be the issue...1st off Nice engine!...very detailed!....
One thing might be is how long the engine sat unused...you said you got it in elem. and didnt get back out till high school...If this is true you might have to clean it deeper in the engine....may be a tarnished spot on the internals from sitting in one spot for awhile..sounds like a brush (power pickup) on the motor to me...Also try the other engines..this will eliminate if its the track, transformer or the engine. Another thing might concider is you have one pick up point for power that I can see from the picture...you can daisy-chain the whole track by having several connections...even tho its a small layout one would work but it helps to distribute the power pickups closer to where the train is running. Some guys have a pick up about every 3 ft. But I think its a easy fix on the engine that will solve your problem. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks! I think I'm going to either A: bring it to a hobby shot to open it up or B: Open it up myself and be VERRY Careful, But I have to learn at some point don't I?

I bought a 25 year old engine still sealed in the original packaging a month or two back and it was dead as dead can be, the armature was oxidised and the metal pad's that contacted the wheel's were also oxidised, after a good strip down and clean up followed by oiling it run's like a dream, i imagine your engine will benefit from a good dose of servicing and TLC

Funny story, I said I wounder whats in this unit, so I opened the bottom an there was a little piece of copper (Pickup Maybe?) and I took it out and put it back together and its runs like a dream too :) pulls my cars just fine!

Maybe it just needed a little air?

Thanks for your help Guys!

I'd check the feeder wires (maybe add new ones and double up), and also double check the brushes inside the locomotive.

EDIT well, never mind, looks like you figured it out.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to to it myself.... It still needs work, might as well, if that's my Number 1 Engine, Ill go to my local hobby shop and see what they say...

Just tryed it and it sorta does it, but after running for 10 or 15 min it seems to go good lol

Try continuously running it about 30-45 minutes in each direction. Go have a cup of coffee or a coke. See how it is after you have done this.

Back