need a bit of help, lettering removal

Ok heres the neal, I got a train, a tyco unit, its green and orange so it fits my RRs color scheme perfict, only thing is it says "Denver & Rio Grande" and I want to remove that WITH OUT removing the orange paint.....what are my options, please keep in mind im on a budget so I kinda am stuck with home found items so any low cost solution is a good one, so yea i ask the gurus for help on this!

SL732896.jpg

SL732897.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about removal, but I wonder if painting over might work? That would cost you paint and application tools (brush?), but then you'd have paint and tools to make more cars look the way you want.

true that was one option i have, again the bulk would be either next paycheck or if my friend happened to help me with the supplies...and I was wondering out of curosity anyways as I may do the color match paint option(s) but was wanting to know what other options i have/had open to me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as there isn't a coating (clear) over the decals, you may be able to remove them wit a soft rubber eraser; the best type used are the ones that are sold to drafting people but if you a really careful an ordinary one may work.

Ok heres the neal, I got a train, a tyco unit, its green and orange so it fits my RRs color scheme perfict, only thing is it says "Denver & Rio Grande" and I want to remove that WITH OUT removing the orange paint.....what are my options, please keep in mind im on a budget so I kinda am stuck with home found items so any low cost solution is a good one, so yea i ask the gurus for help on this!

SL732896.jpg

SL732897.jpg

You can try a pencil eraser or Solvaset. I don't know if Tyco paints or uses ink on their lettering. Phil

Jim -

Whatever method you use, try it first on a hidden location where you won't care if you spoil the paint.

- Jeff

well not many "hidden locations" to test on....so LOL...no biggie....but yea I may just try sanding off the clear with 1000 grit paper and then paint over smooth and spray clear...or maybe leave it as is...with the paint over so it looks like it was bought from another RR and renamed...

Try this: Removing Decals

Decals can be removed from a model provided the model has not been over sprayed with a finishing coat. That is, a gloss, satin or flat finishing product. If the model has a finish coating applied, then it might become necessary to completely strip the painted model and start over.

If the decals have no finish coat applied, first start by applying adhesive back masking tape over the decal. The tackier tape used, the better luck you will have with the removal. After rubbing the tape in place, lift and slowly pull at a shallow angle back over its self. With luck, most of the decal lettering should lift off. Any remaining decal material can then be soaked off with water.

Another method is to use our product, Micro-Sol (red label) to the remaining decal. Let the solution soak a few minutes and then use a pink rubber pencil eraser and rub over the decal working carefully as not to remove the painted surface. A fingernail will also work. Be sure to rinse off the area with fresh water as letting the Micro-Sol set too long can case the paint to lift. Repeat as necessary.

From this website: http://www.microscale.com/FAQ.htm

Try 99% alcohol if the lettering is painted on and not sealed. You have to use a fine Q-tip and do letter by letter, but it does work on some paints and doesn't remove the body paint if you're careful.

Roy

Since this is Tyco, (Mantua), its probably pad painted. That makes it more difficult to remove as in many cases the lettering actually penetrates into the paint. But, Tyco was also known for molding their bodies in the color of plastic used as the basic color.

Quick check, Remove the tender body, and scratch a small gouge on the inside of the body with a knife blade. If the color doesn't change after scratching, chances are the body was molded in the orange used. If that was the case, an older typewriter ink eraser and solvaset will remove the lettering. The Micro-sol mentioned isn't strong enough generally to removed pad printed lettering.

I recently successfully removed the lettering from a string of passenger cars. This is what I did:

Materials
Q-tips
Comet (the old abrasive cleanser)
Water in a dish

Procedure
Dip the q-tip in water
Roll the wet end in the Comet
Use the comet covered q-tip end to lightly scrape off the letter.
Clean with a damp paper towel or rag.

The key here is not making the Comet too wet. There should be just enough moisture on the q-tip to make the Comet adhere to it but no more or it will make a mess and not do the job.

Don't put too much pressure when scraping because you will wear a hole though the paint. Let the abrasives in the cleanser do the work.

Before you tackle the engine I would try this with something you don't mind screwing up to get the procedure down.

Back