NCE decoders for RTR quickplug locos

tootnkumin

Staff member
Sorry if this is in here somewhere but too many results for a quick look.

Looking to start upgrading my RTR's to NCE decoders. Is the D13SR with the 8 pin plug the usual general purpose diesel decoder(Athearn RTR & Genesis, P2K's mostly). What advantage (if any) does the 9 pin type offer?

So, after having the bright thought of looking at my various locos' instruction sheets it appears they all take either of the 8 or 9 pin decoders and the 9 pin seems to avoid the necessity of soldering in, that's the way I intend to go. Still don't know what the 9th pin does but hopefully it's spectacular. Now, on the subject of LED's. Mine are all modern diesels and I see comments on the warm whites as being more suitable to older engine types and a sunny white advertised, is this the type I should use? Is 3mm the normal replacement size for H/lights etc? Do they, or can they, get positioned behind the plastic light "tubes" for markers/number boards etc. Seems to get the advantage of their "beam" throwing capability, that for H/lights they should be mounted into the actual light position. Are there smaller sizes available in that case?

There really is not a guaranteed one-size-fits-all for either thing. For the decoders, NCE D13SRP is the 8-pin version and D13SRJ is the 9-pin version. I like getting the J's and using the included wiring harness to get rid of the stock manufacturer board.

On LED's I like Miniatronics Yeloglo LED's, they are available in 3mm and 5mm sizes. I scrap the stock light tubes and use 1.5mm fiber optic to pipe the light direct to the headlights. 1.5mm will fit most modern headlight housings nicely, and give a pretty convincing look of having a nice bright headlight for the engineer to see down the track. Ditch lights are a different story, those require SMD LED's and tiny tiny magnet wire, I cannot further comment at this time because I am still developing how to do this for myself.

Thanks Nathan, yes ditchlights are not for the faint hearted I would guess, but they do look good. BLI do them very well and I think they're on the newer Proto 2000 stuff as well, have a couple of each, must have a look how they've done theirs. The P2K SD45 has a really realistic LED H/light, white without any hint of blue. I also have 2 Kato SD40's in I&M Rail Link (MRL paint) that I got used. The H/lights on them are bright but bluish, soldered into the central board (legs) and shining through the Kato plastic pipes (no shielding). Very effective, but I'm not totally sure if they are LED's. The color would suggest so and there is some light bleed into the loco.

When you use the optic fibre, do you shield the LED in a tube to prevent that?

The BLI SD40 I have uses a fiber optic tube for the ditch lights. It's pretty simple, and accomplishes the task quite well.

I like the NCE decoders because they seem to hold up well and quiet the motor a little bit on Athearn units. I had a bluebox SD45 that the decoder completely did away with the "growl".

The BLI SD40 I have uses a fiber optic tube for the ditch lights. It's pretty simple, and accomplishes the task quite well.

I like the NCE decoders because they seem to hold up well and quiet the motor a little bit on Athearn units. I had a bluebox SD45 that the decoder completely did away with the "growl".

That's all good news, will also save me pulling the BLI apart just to have a look.

I feel better knowing King Toot shops at my local hobby shop. I always knew it was a great shop, maybe the best! Now I know it's fit for a King!

Now that I have gotten lazy and they moved 15 more minutes from my house I have them ship the stuff to me. I have a new Lionel Amtrak GG1 out for delivery on my reliable UPS man's truck. I can almost set my clock on what time he will be here. I still occasionally make the trip to the store.

King Toot if you ever choose "store pick up" as your shipping method let me know when you will be there so I can meet you. When you buy something in the retail store the receipt still says MB Klein. They have been a great shop that has always offered discounts and had great customer service. My grandfather bought trains from them.

I feel better knowing King Toot shops at my local hobby shop. I always knew it was a great shop, maybe the best! Now I know it's fit for a King!

Now that I have gotten lazy and they moved 15 more minutes from my house I have them ship the stuff to me. I have a new Lionel Amtrak GG1 out for delivery on my reliable UPS man's truck. I can almost set my clock on what time he will be here. I still occasionally make the trip to the store.

King Toot if you ever choose "store pick up" as your shipping method let me know when you will be there so I can meet you. When you buy something in the retail store the receipt still says MB Klein. They have been a great shop that has always offered discounts and had great customer service. My grandfather bought trains from them.

Hey Louis! I better come live with you, the order was for those decoders and 2 packs of 50 pairs of Kadee #158 couplers, came to US$394 including shipping to Aus. My bill at this end was a tad short of AU$450. Oh for the days when our dollar was above parity, we were basically getting stuff at listed price and free shipping. MTS is my first point of call when shopping.

Since he is in Australia, I think it may be a bit difficult... Unless his profile info is old.

Will have to have another look at my profile, 'cause I am definitely getting older, less hair not as many teeth.

Your welcome to come King Toot, If you don't mind sleeping on the couch and you like beagles. My beagles Sophie and Tucker will love you, they love everybody that comes in,

I will tell you what I pay for shipping, if you are curious.

Your welcome to come King Toot, If you don't mind sleeping on the couch and you like beagles. My beagles Sophie and Tucker will love you, they love everybody that comes in,

I will tell you what I pay for shipping, if you are curious.

I've got 2 dogs also, Lucy-Lou (papillon), (should'a been called Fran, for Fran the frantic) and Teeka-Boo (chiwawa/maltese).

Telling me what you pay for postage might be upsetting.

Back