NCE CP6, EB1 or EB3?

NWCanuck

Tip&Ring
I am looking to divide my layout into some power districts and I am a little confused between which circuit protection from NCE to use. I have the 5amp NCE Power Pro R.

The options are the CP6

View attachment 25983

EB1

View attachment 25984

EB3

View attachment 25985

From what I understand the CP6 is a current limiter by using 1amp or a 1.75 amp automotive bulbs for up to six individual districts. I am confused as to whether this can be used for the Power Pro or was it always just intended for the PowerCab? I am pretty sure this is just a fancy and pretty version of the automotive 1156 bulb setup.

The EB1 from what I understand is a true circuit breaker which opens the circuit in the event of a short circuit but can be used for only one power district.

The EB3 from what I understand is the same as the EB1 the only difference being that it can handle three districts.

I guess I am just wondering if there is anything I am missing here or what is the correct application for each of these devices.

Well after doing a little more research I have discovered that the CP6 is really intended for the PowerCab because it is rated to 1 amp with supplied bulbs and can be increased to 1.75 amp.

What I really need for my 5 amp system is the EB1 which is an actual circuit breaker and rated 2-8 amps. As it turns out the EB3 has been discontinued by NCE and is no longer available through them. I guess there were some issues with QSI sound equipped decoders and this breaker tripping during startup peak voltages. One thing I will say about DCC is that sometimes the information can be very hard to find and poorly documented by the manufacturers.

So if anyone is looking for a cheap CP6 for their PowerCab, let me know. I should have done my research first.:eek:

Our local club runs NCE Power Pro and had problems with the EB1/3's. After some research we upgraded to PowerShieldX by DCC specialties and haven't had any problems with them. They work very well with NCE as well as Digitrax and I'm sure they work with other DCC setups as well.PowerShield X

Last edited by a moderator:
Our local club runs NCE Power Pro and had problems with the EB1/3's. After some research we upgraded to PowerShieldX by DCC specialties and haven't had any problems with them. They work very well with NCE as well as Digitrax and I'm sure they work with other DCC setups as well.PowerShield X

Thanks for the link and the info Brian.

Back