NCE control question

Hawkesburytrain

Hey everyone,

Last year I bought NCE Pro 5, but now that my layout is BIG (40'x 20'), I'll need more controls. My question is what should I be using?

Should I have 5-6 hand controls already set up on the layout?
Should I just have the outlets on the fascia and how many?
Should I switch my NCE Pro 5 for a wireless?

Basically, what I need to know is what would be the best setup?

You can view the layout diagram here:

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?38234-Hawks-NEW-quot-MHO-Junction-quot-layout

Thanks

The only reason I can see for having 5-6 handhelds is for lots of friends coming to play trains with you....is that a reality, that 4-6 other people will be running trains with you at the same time? If so then get more handhelds....which means more fascia plug-in panels....unless you decide to convert to wireless radio. If no to all of that...then by all means get some more facia panels, they aren't super expensive and mount them around the layout so you can follow your trains.

Difficult to say. What is your operating scheme? How many trains on the layout at once/how many operators per session? If it was me, I'd go for wireless operation, but it's not me. What do you want to do/how do you want to operate the layout is the real question.

Most of the time, it will only be me, but I would like to create a small club were 4-5 operators will be involved. In the near future, I would like to have operation sessions. The layout was designed for 5-6 operators.

You will need one throttle for each operator (plus one extra). I would install plug ins around the major switching areas and control points/junctions. For cost purposes you could use tethered throttles to start or around "fixed position" jobs (job that just switches one station or a yard job that just switches the yard or hostler that just works around the roundhouse.)

If you can afford it I would suggest wireless throttles for the over the road jobs wher the operators move around.

I have NCE and I use a mix of Cab4p and Cab4pr throttles. I bought my system before radio so had several tethered throttles to begin with (my system is so old I had a RamTraxx throttle). I have converted the majority of the tethered to radio units with an upgrade kit they used to sell. I have a mix of converted Cab4p, early Cab4pr (external antenna) and new Cab4pr (internal antenna) plus a few remaining tethered throttles. The three yard jobs get tethered throttles unless I have a radio open. The road jobs (2 or 3 road crews plus a local) get a radio throttle. I have also installed tethered plug ins in case something goes wrong with the radio system I can still operate the railroad all tethered.

Critical thing. NCE throttles have an address. When you get a new throttle READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and reprogram the throttle to a unique throttle number. Mine start in the mid 30's and go up through the 40's with even numbers (36, 38, 40, 42, etc). That improves performance of the throttles.

I'll need more controls. My question is what should I be using?
Should I have 5-6 hand controls already set up on the layout?
Should I just have the outlets on the fascia and how many?
Should I switch my NCE Pro 5 for a wireless?

Basically, what I need to know is what would be the best setup?
The "best" is always wireless. No matter how many outlets one has it seems there is never one where you need it. Plus the wire always seems to be in the way.

For a outlets on fascia type, looking briefly at your layout I counted a minimum of 16 places that I would put outlet face plates.

I would never recommend a system that had only fixed locations. I might use fixed location in addition to having outlets on a fascia. Those would be throttles dedicated specifically for the yard or major industry. This would be places where a throttle would always be required. Thinking of a position that is 100% occupied during a full operating session.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to create a small club were 4-5 operators will be involved. In the near future, I would like to have operation sessions
if the other operators also have NCE cabs, they can bring them to your session, as well as you bringing yours to their session

Back