Nathan's Crossroads

ACL-CSX

Founder, NHRR; Founder, Nathan's Crossroads
Hey y'all.

I'm starting this thread to document progress on my small N Scale layout. It's been a long time in the making, but I finally managed to get some track pinned down. It's not smooth or trouble-free yet, but it's a start. I'll post pics as soon as I can get them uploaded.

885ADA53-FBE5-4BD9-A1F2-04038A290C3E.jpeg

It's not much, but it's more than I've had to date. The bottom switch on the left details cars but not locos in reverse, and the top switch on the right creates a power loss when switched to the turnout, and the bottom one is missing a switching rail, but with a little tweaking I think it can be a serviceable base for future growth and expansion. I'll be working on some scratch built industry to fill the blue ocean but for now I can at least watch my train make circuits. Updates to follow.

Posting track plan 2.0. Removed a few defective switches and added a few more. Turned the track slightly to achieve the desired entrance from either end. Future track logistics beyond this loop are a concern for future me. I have no tested this layout yet, so I'm hoping for no glitches. will post update after powering track and attempting to run and operate switches.

track plan.jpeg

Just a hint, in case you aren't aware of it: Turnouts (switches) must always have power to them from the point ends. If two turnouts are facing the same way (frog of one to the points of the other, you can attach the wires to the point end of the first turnout. So you can just attach wires to the point end of the yard on the left and you'll have power to the entire yard.

OTOH, if the frogs of two turnouts face each other, like on the left side of the layout, you must insulate between the two turnouts to prevent shorts. Same thing on the right side of your layout. If you place insulated rail joiners between the facing frogs on each side, you can wire your powder leads to the curves on the "top" and "bottom" curve sections, tie the leads together (outside track to outside track, inside to inside, and connect to your power pack and you are good to go. The only other place you might need insulators would be if you wanted to park a spare locomotive or more while you run another. In that case, you would need to put the insulated joiners somewhere between the feed from the main line, with a SPST toggle switch to shut off power to the yard or a particular siding. The jumper wire would have to come from the same side of the layout.

This explanation is probably clear as mud, but I hope I have been clear enough.
Stay well and safe!

Just a hint, in case you aren't aware of it: Turnouts (switches) must always have power to them from the point ends. If two turnouts are facing the same way (frog of one to the points of the other, you can attach the wires to the point end of the first turnout. So you can just attach wires to the point end of the yard on the left and you'll have power to the entire yard.

OTOH, if the frogs of two turnouts face each other, like on the left side of the layout, you must insulate between the two turnouts to prevent shorts. Same thing on the right side of your layout. If you place insulated rail joiners between the facing frogs on each side, you can wire your powder leads to the curves on the "top" and "bottom" curve sections, tie the leads together (outside track to outside track, inside to inside, and connect to your power pack and you are good to go. The only other place you might need insulators would be if you wanted to park a spare locomotive or more while you run another. In that case, you would need to put the insulated joiners somewhere between the feed from the main line, with a SPST toggle switch to shut off power to the yard or a particular siding. The jumper wire would have to come from the same side of the layout.

This explanation is probably clear as mud, but I hope I have been clear enough.
Stay well and safe!

Thanks for the advice. The wiring and electrical side is still a little confusing to me, but I think I see what you are saying. I still haven't hooked power to it yet, so I'll have to see what works and what doesn't. I have been considering adding a small border around the bottom edge of the plywood to raise the bottom surface slightly. I figured I would need to do some wiring underneath for issues like you described. Plus, I would like all of my switches to be remote operated. I don't mind doing it manually for a while, but I'm looking for full automation at some point. Including magnetic couplers.

Last edited:
🤔

If I do build a base under the plywood, I can add some width and length for additional sidings and at least one passing loop all while still fitting into my available storage space.

🤔🤔

Tack revision number 3:

track plan.jpeg

Happy to report that all power issues have been corrected and there are no more derailments at the switches. Found 2 that had wear on the wheel guides on one side of the frogs. After replacing them (which necessitated the modifications to the track layout) I was able to successfully and enjoyably switch the entire layout last night. Rather, my son did (with daddy's help).

The outer switches have been pinned in place so that we will not have any "Back to the Future" canyon shenanigans.

My next goals are:
Construction of the transfer terminal (4 track siding) for the trucking company

Connecting power mechanisms to all of my electric switches (which is ever switch on the layout)

Upgrading couplers on all rolling stock and locos that will see service to magnetic. (I really don't want to have to wrestle with manual coupler operations.) I am currently running Rapido couplers because that is what came on most of my used rolling stock, but I discovered in the first operating session that I do not like them, no, not one bit.

Figuring out what industry will occupy the 2 track siding on the left side of the layout.

I plan to add a second layer of foam to the top, as these sheets are only 1/2 thick. Hard to find the 2" in my neck of the woods. I want the ability to add a creek or pond, but am yet uncertain if it will happen.

Roadbed and ballast are also on the agenda. The layout may be temporarily mobile, but eventually it will find a permanent home and be fully sceniced.

As progress continues, I will post updates.

Thanks for the likes and the interest.

Hi Jesse,

Have you considered adding a 'run around track/siding,' so the engine can run around several cars, an be in the proper position to drop a car on either the facing or trailing point sidings. Your layout has both in the most recent photo, btw. Keep those photos coming!

Otis

Hi Jesse,

Have you considered adding a 'run around track/siding,' so the engine can run around several cars, an be in the proper position to drop a car on either the facing or trailing point sidings. Your layout has both in the most recent photo, btw. Keep those photos coming!

Otis

I have considered it, but at present I am out of turnouts that are in serviceable condition. Also, I am not quite certain if the remaining space will support one without expanding the base. I want to add a run around off each curved end as well as 2 additional sidings headed off in the top right and bottom left, but those will have to wait until I can mount the layout permanently on benchwork. As of right now, I only have 3 operational locos, and only one of those has couplers on both ends. I only have a handful of freight cars that can be used, everything else either needs trucks or couplers before it can be run. Hopefully these issues will be remedied in the near future. I am currently working on scratch building my transfer terminal. I will update with pictures soon on its progress.

Thanks for the interest and advice, both are always welcomed.

Progress from the layout.

After track issues were sorted out, planning began for the NHRR transfer depot. Freight from all over the south will transition from rail to truck through this building. Here is the basic concept:

Transfer Depot Footprint.jpeg

Freight cars enter on the left, trucks exit on the right. The small rectangle on the bottom will be the office, while the top side represents trailer storage.

Transfer Depot 1.jpeg

There is space for 9 trailer awaiting loading. There will also be parking for a yard truck as well. I am considering adding another turnout to the lower line so that I can station a small switching engine on sight for switching operations.

Transfer Depot 2.jpeg

The facility can support up to 4 railcars at once. Plans are to add roadbed and then sink the rails into the floor of the depot as well as building a loading dock that will service all 4 cars at once and also to cover over the bump stops to provide a seamless appearance. I am considering adding crane rigging to the ceiling area to aid in freight transfer as well as an exterior dock for flatcar loads. I have thought about tank car transfers as well, but I don't know if that will come to fruition. That may be a separate facility, possibly on the second sidings or at an as yet acquired piece of real estate. The main purpose of the trucking division of the NHRR is to service the textile industry and the town's needs, but it may expand to become it's own entity.

There are also plans to build doors that will swing over the rails to allow the building to be closed up if ever needed. I have not yet decide if these will be functional or simply for decoration.

Yes, the track is kinked in this photo, but it was just pulled up to allow test fitting of the building. That will be corrected upon final installation.

Transfer Depot 3.jpeg

This is the current office space, subject to future expansion. The roof will be added after interior detailing (if any) and the parking lot will be painted in the space occupied by the service truck. There will also be a storage area added behind the office. Eventually there will be rail crossings to aid in accessing the outside world, but for now everything will be confined to the available space.

I am considering wrapping the entire exterior with styrene brick sheets and detailing with depend on what is available that suits this application. Stay tuned for further updates, hopefully to include videos of trains running.

Update Time!

The depot is (mostly) finished!
Transfer depot setup 1.jpeg

The trailers still need to be detailed, but they will live along this wall when not in use. The service trucks may or may not stay here. Plans are to add an outside loading dock near where the bulkhead flat is sitting.

Transfer depot setup 2.jpeg

Added the spur for the switching engine. It needs a little TLC, has a wobble when going forward and lurches, reverse operation is better.

Transfer depot setup 3.jpeg

I plan to add a covered loading dock on the truck side, and pave the office parking lot, but otherwise there aren't many other plans for this area yet.

Transfer depot interior.jpeg

I can't build the interior docks until I get the roadbed in place, but there will be as much detail in here as possible. I am working on a plan for functional doors on the truck side as well.

I was sitting around last night, my mind wandering as it typically does when I am relaxing, and it suddenly occurred to me: I have a huge(ish) fleet of trucks and trailers and nowhere to service them when they break down. And anyone who knows anything about trucks and trailers knows they will break down; or be damaged by careless operators. This led me to the conclusion that I need a repair shop on the layout, but was uncertain where to put it; until this morning. I am going to add it to the other end, where the second siding is. The repair shop will service the trucks and trailers primarily, but there will also be bays set aside for repairs/service on freight cars and the switcher. Not major repairs, but on he spot emergency repairs to get things rolling again. All major work will be taken to the main repair shops (located in an as yet established part of the region).

Updates to follow.

Weekend update:

Tomorrow appears to be another rain day, so I may get some time to work on the maintenance facility.

Also on the "To Do" list:
- Loading docks at the cargo terminal
- New parking plan for empty trailers
- Insulated rail joiners for the switching locomotive siding (can't have it running willy nilly while operating on the mainline)
- Possible office expansion (it just looks so tiny in comparison to the rest of the facility)
- Run trains as much as possible.

Y'all have a blessed day.

Update time:

garage 1.jpeg

The maintenance shed is almost ready to start repairing trucks and trailers damaged by the company steering wheel holders. I am currently working on a office/parts area for the shop. Also in the works will be an oil storage/air compressor room off the rear of the shop. The office and parking area will be off the left side.

garage 2.jpeg

Also behind the garage will be an area for units awaiting service. On the far left (top in this pic) will be an area for wrecked and "retired" units.

On to the loading docks.

Construction of the office for the repair shop was completed, but not successful. The contractors got in a rush and botched the design. Now I have to pull new permits and await the Crossroads Fire Department to burn the old structure down. Thankfully it will serves as a great training exercise for them. Even better, it did not put a damper on the construction budget so construction can resume as soon as the paperwork is completed and the old structure has been removed.

The truck loading dock is nearing completion as well, but the last stage has to be completed after the building is in its final location; which wont occur until after the track is secured to the new roadbed. At that point I will also be able to complete the interior loading docks and cargo transfer/storage area as well as the flatcar dock construction. Crews are also standing by to finish preparing the shop to service its first round of trucks.

The next phase of construction will focus on building framework under the plywood to accommodate wiring and provide a location for mounting siding control switches as well as the toggles that will serve to isolate certain sidings from the power supply as needed. A second layer of foam will also be added to ensure clearance should a water feature be added before scenery is completed. This appears unlikely, due to remaining available space, but I'm sure the design department will find a way to pull it off as soon as accommodations are not made for it.

I have not yet made a decision on whether the buildings will be lighted or not, but I have not yet ruled it out either. Until such a decision has been made, the facilities will operate as "open air", meaning roofing will come last on the building agenda.

I think it's about time to head over to the Crossroads now. Updates to follow soon.

Back