Nathan's Crossroads

office placement.jpeg

Playing around with office placement at the shipping terminal. There will be a covered walk from the back door of the office to a small set of stairs leading into the terminal. I may have to adjust placement in order to achieve the desired look.

loading dock.jpeg

The loading dock turned out nicely. Both times. A well intentioned, but fat fingered construction worker tried to correct an issue in the first build, only to end up creating a large crease on the dock surface that could not be corrected. Version 2.0 turned out better anyway, so the worker in question did not receive any administrative discipline.

maintenance office placement.jpeg

The maintenance office is now complete, despite several issues involving poor construction techniques and design incompetence. Those involved have been dealt with as management deemed appropriate. There will be a covered walk connecting the office to the shop, as the office will also house the parts department and the employee break room.

maintenance office placement 2.jpeg

The area to the left will serve as employee parking for both the mechanics and the parts jockeys. The service manager is a bit of a prima donna and insisted on his own personal space in front of the office (right side in this photo). Management argued that he is not of higher importance than those who keep the trucks rolling, but he locked himself in his office and refused to take our calls until we relented. Good help is hard to find.

Further detailing must now wait until track roadbed construction is complete. Certain interior details are dependent on final rail height and additional structures and exterior details require the buildings to be attached to the base before they can be added. Until the materials arrive (read: the postal service comes through) it will be business as usual. Freight comes in, freight goes out, and equipment gets mangled by operator error. At least now facilities are in place to repair the carnage.

The waiting also gives management time to contemplate future additions and question employee hiring practices.

See you at the next update from the Crossroads.

4E7C9DBF-1AA4-42F1-BC9A-2EE10EDAC794.jpeg

After adding the loading dock, I decided a change in trailer parking was required. The number of waiting trailers that can be parked here is lower in the configuration, but I think it looks more realistic due to ease in departure.

19699EE0-E586-4C06-BFDE-8CCAFA9B3C72.jpeg

Working on some details for the repair shop. Used an old Reader's Digest giveaway gondola as used tire storage, and took the tank load that was in it to serve as oil and coolant storage tanks.

80A18E6A-2615-43B1-97CB-62D60599736A.jpeg

Vehicles awaiting service will be located in the curve while the bone yard will occupy the area near the turnout. There is still much to do, but progress marches on.

I like the angle dock idea, keeps things from looking too symmetrical and also gives the trucks more space from the tracks.
If I can make a suggestion, angle the docks the opposite way so drivers aren’t backing on the blindside. I actually delivered to an Ikea that had the docks angled on the passenger side, it was kind of a “back by feel” sort of situation. 😆

I like the angle dock idea, keeps things from looking too symmetrical and also gives the trucks more space from the tracks.
If I can make a suggestion, angle the docks the opposite way so drivers aren’t backing on the blindside. I actually delivered to an Ikea that had the docks angled on the passenger side, it was kind of a “back by feel” sort of situation. 😆

I liked it better than the original plan, which was perpendicular to the wall, but may give this some consideration. I parked them this way because the grade crossing is going to be located to the left of the truck dock, and my thought was that it would make departures easier, just hook and make the turn and roll on. BUT, I neglected to think about how many drivers are not "Truckers", but merely "Wheel Holders" and may struggle with backing blindsided. I never drove on the road, but I did spend close to 3 years working as a mechanic for a small operation whose yard was littered with old trucks, trailers, cars, vans, and anything else that struck the bosses fancy and no one was allowed to get rid of. I had to learn to maneuver trailers in horribly tight conditions with whichever truck was in the yard that would crank that day. I had no trouble with the blindside backing, but I know that isn't always the case with everyone else. 🤷‍♂️

I'll flip them around the other way and see how that looks. Since everything is still in the planning stage, I may flip the office to this side and see how the trailers look on the other side. I don't think there is enough space, especially since I am not exactly sure where the crossing will be yet, but it's worth looking at. Anything I can do to keep the drivers from tearing up equipment will go a long way in keeping the maintenance staff happy and more profit in the budget as well. 😁

Thanks for the input.

The local USPS surprised me yesterday by delivering my roadbed a day earlier than I expected, so I may get a chance to work on laying that over the weekend. Maybe even today since it is raining again.

The wrench jockeys and grease monkeys were complaining about having to use ladders to dump their used oil in the tanks and were threatening to use the parking lot instead, so yesterday building maintenance began construction on a platform that can be accessed via sturdy stairs. Order has been restored, but management realizes that it is only a ceasefire, not true peace. Something else is bound to arise at any moment and start the process all over.

There is a site assessment scheduled in the next couple of days, so I'm going to have to wrap this up. There is still quite a bit to do before the assessors arrive.

Items to be reviewed are:
Trailer storage
Office orientation
Storage for building maintenance
Flatcar loading dock placement and construction

Y'all have a blessed day. If you get a chance, swing by the Crossroads Café. They have the best pie in the south, no matter which you prefer. However, I recommend the pecan pie. It's so good you'd sell your soul for another slice, but demand is so high they have a one slice limit per patron.

Jesse, I got a good laugh when I read your reply, my boss is the same but he’s filling the shop with junk! I made him bring in a 48’ seacan which he promptly started filling up as well. We have a couple wheel holders too.
When I used to drive it was in long wheelbase highway tractors with huge bunks going into tiny yards and buildings with 53’ trailers, your trucks should have no problem backing either way.

Jesse, I got a good laugh when I read your reply, my boss is the same but he’s filling the shop with junk! I made him bring in a 48’ seacan which he promptly started filling up as well. We have a couple wheel holders too.
When I used to drive it was in long wheelbase highway tractors with huge bunks going into tiny yards and buildings with 53’ trailers, your trucks should have no problem backing either way.

Our yard was so tiny. I usually had an old Ford F9000 day cab to use as a yard tractor, but there was one time I had to use our KW W900 with its 86 inch sleeper. That was fun. Tractor was half the length of the trailer. Beautiful truck though. I was glad the boss sold it. It deserved better than the treatment it would have received in our fleet. :eek:

The weekend got away from me, as weekends often seem to do, so there was no real progress made at the Crossroads. However with a wet forecast projected for the end of the week, there may be more time for the layout. Yesterday's mail brought in a new set of terminal joiners and the power strip I plan to use for isolating certain sections of track from the mainline, so there will not be a shortage of work to complete.

I was able to complete construction of the oil tank platform for the repair shop. Now the grease monkeys and wrench jockeys won't be complaining about having to climb a ladder to dump waste oil.
2E42CE8D-8284-4D3A-86B2-5E7658FF66A7.jpeg

I was going for the look of cross ties. I need to do a little detail work on them and the tanks, but this corner of the shop is taking shape. Next up is a ramp into the tire storage bin and air compressors. It will all be topped off with a lean-to roof and maybe a some chain link fencing to keep the area self-contained.

Last edited:
Update from the Planning and Oversight Department:

Poor planning has led to the oversight of a lack of needed materials.

Translation: I neglected to verify that I did indeed have the required insulated joiners to complete the work order for installation of deadrail switches on the sidings. The parts have been ordered, and the employee responsible for ensuring that all materials are on site has been reprimanded.

In the meantime, plans to add the roadbed to raise the track to correct height are still go. Thankfully, this operation can be completed without being hindered by the lack of plastic rail joiners. Once completed, this stage will allow the construction on the flatcar dock to proceed. A truck scale has also been added to the site plan. We must work diligently to stay on DOT's good side. Whether the company wheel holders will be successful in this venture has yet to be determined. Once the roadbed is in place, interior detailing will also commence.

To break up the monotony of daily operations, plans to begin construction on a future addition to the town have been drafted and construction will proceed as time allows. There is an old asylum located in the woods outside of town. It is rumored to be haunted for a number of reasons. It has served as a POW camp during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. It once held victims of various plague outbreaks and housed the criminally insane. It is also rumored to be built on top of ancient Indian burial grounds. There is also an on-site cemetery that houses the remains of everyone from war dead to the "test subjects" of the good doctor's research to cure the criminally insane. It has been left to decay for nearly 50 years and has become a popular place for the local youth to test their manhood. It is also popular with the older kids as well. It seems they like to get drunk there and mess around.

I am hoping to have more pictures to share soon. The weather guessers are calling for rain for nearly a week and I will not be able to do much else.

That's all for now.

Have a blessed day.

It is raining, again, so it seems like a great time to update on progress.

Yesterday was a productive day. The insulated rail joiners came via USPS, so I made the hard choice to pull up all of the track so I could lay down the new roadbed. I also took this opportunity to transfer everything over to the new foam layer that we be glued on top of the existing base. The next step will be to glue all of the roadbed in place and reinstall the track. It may be a while before trains run again, but at least now I can get the buildings in place so final detailing can begin.

roadbed layout.jpeg

Here's a shot with the buildings back in place:
13AF6C17-E8EF-4BF5-A52A-9843A0319391.jpeg

Last edited:
Breaking News:

Last night at approximately 6:30 EST, a Category 5 hurricane ripped through Nathan's Crossroads. Experts are saying that Hurricane Nathan was unlike any storm they have witnessed before. It carved through town with surgical precision and only damaged one building, the freight transfer depot that houses New Horizons Trucking Company. Town management reports no injuries or loss of life, as all operations were suspended pending track and building renovations. Company management is pleased to report that all company assets are secure, having been moved to a separate location during construction, and that no freight was lost as it had all been cleared out before construction as well. The building and zoning department has condemned the building, stated unsafe conditions. They have also issued permits for the fire department to use the ruins as training before demolition commences, and for the new structure to be erected as soon as debris removal is complete. They have, however, placed stipulations that the new building be more resistant to future storms. New Horizons Textiles, the parent company for both the railroad and the trucking company have ordered a study of the surviving structures to analyze their ability to withstand future storms as well. A full site analysis is planned for later this week as clean up begins.

Crews will not be working today as all staff has been given time off to spend with their spouses and significant others, and all depot staff is on paid leave until the building is restored. During this time, the maintenance staff will be working in cooperation with the engine and car shops to ensure all equipment is ready to resume freight operations.

Further updates to follow.

Construction has begun in the downtown district on The Row, Nathan's Crossroads first business sector.5EA07473-86A6-4B53-B5C7-5562167F399B.jpegC2C54F98-08EB-4C68-A647-5B095537F15C.jpegEB0D6081-F816-437C-B7EF-C93FBA1BDCC8.jpeg

Two units have already been leased;

0D1A2BDD-C82C-4737-9931-B9BAB9E7010D.jpeg

From left to right we will have:
The Crossroads Inquirer, the town's newspaper
Little Nero's Pizzeria

The search for a third occupant continues.

Each unit will be independently lighted and the living quarters above will also be lighted to simulate actual occupancy.

Construction will soon commence of the town's first service station as well. Updates to follow.

I have just received word that the owner of an antiquities and curiosities shop has expressed an interest in the remaining unit in The Row.

I myself am now curious if the residents of town will find his items needful or if they will be considered rubbish.

Back