Name the movie this steamer was in...

kjd

Go make something!
I found this photo online and it is obviously a behind the scenes shot from a movie. Which one? I happen to know but just thought it would be fun to see if anyone else did.

movie-train.jpg

The scenes were shot from the side the model maker is standing on and from back near the coaches on the station side.

Hmmmm, very toy like, gaudy colors, ridiculously long pilot, no tender. I cannot place it. Must not have seen that movie.

Back to the Future III was a Ten Wheeler as opposed to an American.
The fanciful colors and level of detail (coaches) suggest to me that it might have been for kiddie show , or video game.

I was thinking the Lone Ranger, then maybe Wild Wild West, then I thought I’d say I know the answer and will tell you when you tell us.
The green fenders are throwing me off!

It's ok if you haven't seen it, not many people did. It came out in 2019 and had one of the worst openings ever. In the end it took in about $26 million at the box office but cost around $100 million to make. It was the first non-computer generated animated movie to win the Golden Globe Best Animated Feature. I chalk its failure up to bad marketing. And the lack of a tender.

It's not any of the guessed ones yet. The boiler is made from a cardboard Sonotube, the cardboard concrete form for making pilings/footings. The track gauge is10.25". If you can't figure out the movie, how about the model maker?

Gary got it! And like I said, not many people have heard of it for some reason. It was well received by the people who did see it just not that many did. The model maker is yours truly.

The drawings I got for the initial train just didn't work. The rods were all jacked up, the wheels went into the boiler and so on and so on. Obviously drawn by someone with an eye for esthetics but engineering, not so much. I learned a lot about early American steam engines as I was tasked with designing and building the running gear and the passenger car trucks. I put my name as the pattern maker on the wheels. All the valve motion and controls are there and move appropriately. Unfortunately, in the actual film, the locomotive seems to spring a giant steam leak underneath and all those parts are hard to see. I brought up the fact there was no tender and if starting with a full head of steam they might make it to the end of the set. I was told they thought about it but didn't feel the tender helped tell the story.

The locomotive was modeled after the William Crooks, post rebuild and post "restoration" hence the two steam domes on a stepped boiler. Originally William Crooks had a straight boiler and two steam domes. Later it was rebuilt with a stepped boiler, the end toward the cab is a larger diameter, and one steam dome. Even later, in the 1920s, the 60 year old locomotive was restored to its original configuration with two steam domes, minus the straight boiler, and went on tour around the US and made appearances at various world fairs. It is currently on display at the Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth, MN.

And there is a random story for a Saturday morning.

Well done Gary, and great job Paul!
I found this on the net, the train appears at about 2:15.
I guess it’s ok to post it here?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks, Rico, I hadn't seen that before. The guy at 2:33 was the one that brought me back on the second film I worked on and I am thankful. He is also the one that said the tender didn't help tell the story. In the background Raul is moving the train. He did a lot of the visible superstructure work and welded the main frame together. Hoffman is the big blurry guy in the timelapse and the 3 of us did most of the work on the locomotive. We have a separate paint department that makes us model makers all look good. I think Katie did the painting but I don't remember for sure.

We didn't have direction on what number should be on the locomotive so Hoffman made it Old Number 7, 2:42 in the video. I thought it a fine choice. As far as I can tell #7 was a ATSF American built by Taunton in 1871. It looks like, with the various renumberings, there were three other American types that at one time or another carried #7 on the ATSF so it was a "correct" number. We decided it should be ATSF since it was at the Santa Anna station. Hoffman also made the headlight.

These candid "behind the scenes" shots always amuse me. Once we were filming a behind the scenes and I was at my desk in the background so set up my phone to take timelapse of the process. The quick candid shot took 18 takes. If you didn't know what was going on the timelapse looks like people in some weird machine repeating the same movements over and over.

Back