"Name that Town" Contest

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Naw, but the more I thought about it...:D

Besides, contrary to the history books and other sources of reference, Henry Hawkins, inventor of the famed Hawkins Rifle, move from New York to this valley after his grandchildren settled here. They opened a gun shop to make custom rifles and pistols and had their own foundry. Thus the name.

You say, "Wrong!". Well heck, it sounds good doesn't it? LOL:D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Lending a helping Hand!??

Hi Rex,
I like the name of 'Hawkinsville' and want to be the first to suggest a Main St
name 'Eagle St.'! :)~} I know you were just waiting for suggestions! Like you couldn't determine the names yourself.

I just had to be a clown here, No offense! :)

Many thanks again.
Industries? Hmmmmmm! That could be another thread. Just kidding!:D :D

However, I will need some help on setting up the town. This is something completely new for me. Even my layout back in the late 60's didn't have a town:eek: . I think that I will start a thread in the next few days (maybe sooner) on what steps to take. Books are fine, but there is nothing like the experience of others.;)

foundry

Naw, but the more I thought about it...:D

Besides, contrary to the history books and other sources of reference, Henry Hawkins, inventor of the famed Hawkins Rifle, move from New York to this valley after his grandchildren settled here. They opened a gun shop to make custom rifles and pistols and had their own foundry. Thus the name.

FOUNDRY ! Did someone say FOUNDRY ! Rex, as a side to that, you can build a small foundry that's still standing. The Hawkin's Firearms Company. I have detailed plans of a 19th century foundry that I can email you. It would be easy to build.......That if you're still talking to me:D

Larry

Uh...well...uh...thanks Larry, but you see, the blast furnace is located over the old foundry site. Danged town council didn't have any respect for history back in 1917 and let US Steel come in a bulldoze everything in the way. I guess when you think about it, its understandable since they needed to have jobs in the area. The moonshine business hadn't picked up yet since it was before prohibition.

Trussrod: There will probably be something named "Eagle___" on the layout. We had a place in the country that was on the highest hill in the county. We named it Eagle's Nest not thinking about the WWII significance. We got a lot of questions about it, but all knew we weren't thinking about Hitler...gosh no!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rex;

Why would anyone say wrong? Remember, not only is it your RR, its also your world!

On my RR, I'm moved entire towns and rivers to make them fit the geographical "reality" of my world, and not only does this fit my RR's concept much better, but I'm also very pleased with the way this will function operationally.

I got one

Was Hollow Gully mentioned? Though that kind of sounds like where the Coal Miners daughter came from.

J.P.

Back