"Name that Town" Contest

Well yeah sounds a little funny. I mean its like asking, "where do you live?", and the other replies "OH! not far away, in Fishtank Ville" :)

BTW, what about Oreville, Rexigrove.

My mind is working in overdrive :S

Rex,

I've got an idea: You've heard lots of interesting suggestions, some of them tongue-in-cheek, but others really serious possibilities. Why don't you jot down a dozen of the names you like best, write each town name individually on little business-card-sized slips of paper, put these into a bucket. Then have Caroline [or some other non-interested bystander] draw the winning name.

Otherwise, this thing could go on forever....!:D

Yeah time to start deciding and put under elimination. You could also post a list of candidate names (from the ones suggested ). So there would be a leading way to what you like, and so narrow down the vastness of names. :)

Rex,
What do you think about, 'Hatfield Hollow or Holler'!

I actually did family portraits for a Butch Hatfield here in the foothills of Central Calif. and when I asked if by chance he was related to the well known
family by that name back there he said he was directly related to the wild bunch!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a couple town name generators on the web. This one lists a few names everytime you refresh it.
http://k4-pacific.com/nametown.php

If you google town name generator there are others too.
I also have a nother idea...Try putting your favorite name parts in different hats...Like New,Old,ect in one//Castle,Steel,ect in hat 2,// Town,Boro,Burg,ect in 3rd and then draw one from each and there's a new name! (just an idea!)

I also have a nother idea...Try putting your favorite name parts in different hats...Like New,Old,ect in one//Castle,Steel,ect in hat 2,// Town,Boro,Burg,ect in 3rd and then draw one from each and there's a new name! (just an idea!)[/QUOTE]

Hey Rex ! I think she's got something there ! Beauty and brains ! What a girl ! :D

Larry

I found a couple town name generators on the web. This one lists a few names everytime you refresh it.
http://k4-pacific.com/nametown.php

If you google town name generator there are others too.
I also have a nother idea...Try putting your favorite name parts in different hats...Like New,Old,ect in one//Castle,Steel,ect in hat 2,// Town,Boro,Burg,ect in 3rd and then draw one from each and there's a new name! (just an idea!)

I will take a look at the name generators. Also, your idea with hats is very good.
Thanks;) :)

EDIT: WoW! Shauna, that is a great name generator. Let me play with that for a little while and see what I come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK!
Right now I am leaning toward "Hawkinsville".

Don't know why, but it has a certain sound to it. The name could be from the founder's old family name of Hawkins or maybe a hawk swept down from the sky and stole a hunters rabbit:rolleyes: .

I know it isn't catchy or exotic, but somehow in my mind sounds right for the area. Comments welcome.

Shauna: I have scanned about 10,000 names :rolleyes: from the generator and found many to use in other parts of my layout. Thank you very much.

Two yes's are good'nuff. DONE DEAL

The new town name is: "Hawkinsville"

:) Many thanks and a hardy pat on the back to all. You certainly got my brain working. I never realized how hard it could be to think of a name. Wasn't it fun for all!;) :)

Excellent choice Rex! There's a town in Indiana where Nucor built their first mini-mill in the late 1980's, named Crawfordsville - so there's definitely a prototype situation to make your town's name seem plausible.

Good choice REX, now you have to invite us all for the opening of the town :) and don't forget to prepare the Major's key :)

Alright everyone party at Rex's layout, just FYI I like any kind of cake or pie. I'm not picky :D So do we also get to help name of the industries there??

Many thanks again.
Industries? Hmmmmmm! That could be another thread. Just kidding!:D :D

However, I will need some help on setting up the town. This is something completely new for me. Even my layout back in the late 60's didn't have a town:eek: . I think that I will start a thread in the next few days (maybe sooner) on what steps to take. Books are fine, but there is nothing like the experience of others.;)

First we need to help lay out the buildings, when done we will start again with the street names :p

OUCH!!!! this time its not only one name but a bunch of names to think about :p

Hey Rex ! Look !

Hmmm, good point Larry. Living near Birmingham, many areas there have such names and this is fur away up'n dem thar hills. Such as a line from N. Alabama to Tenn., N. Carolina.
Yeah, I think something more local and relative to the history, geography, or people of the area. Maybe something in the line of Piney Bluff (there is a tree covered hill that slopes down from the mountains to the town. Kind of puny name though), Hawkinsville, Hawksville, Slocum Bend (main track curves into mountain), something Bend, uh........ Houghschnaegel!:D

I know we can do this. Just have to hit the right creative button.;) :D .

Notice something ...?

Back