"Name that Town" Contest

Calumet, used to be known by the name Red Jacket, how about that, say the mill workers are issued red jackets

I have a Red Jacket bar and grill in my town of Calumet.
BTW ... there are some gorgeous blondes in that town !
....I mean the real Calumet :D

Hey REX, is it possible that with so many names you haven't made a list of any favourites, or its real that you didn't like any of the posted names? :D

Well maybe as soon as you post the picture, you will start receiving another bombardment of names :)

Calumet, used to be known by the name Red Jacket, how about that, say the mill workers are issued red jackets

I have a Red Jacket bar and grill in my town of Calumet.
BTW ... there are some gorgeous blondes in that town !
....I mean the real Calumet :D
Sure WERE, they bloodline is thinning out though, they weren't as good looking when I was growing up there. In fact, Houghton had the good looking ones.

I knew this girl named Peggy ! Finish blonde OH MAN! Oh well... that was a long time ago. Sad that everything had to change.

Larry

Oh, I'm studying all of the suggested names, Max; even looking at combinations.
Here is the photo of Noname (sounds Native American no-nam-ee, doesn't it?:D ). I grabbed some industry buildings from other parts of the layout and kind of placed the town buildings in about where they will go. Lots of work remains, but I planned on it taking awhile. You can see that I have the problem of having to finish from the background out. Its almost 4 feet to the foot of the hill.

The biggest need with the name is so I can enter it in the Operations Software and my trains will know where to go;)
To the observant: yes that is a variation of the TimeSaver switching puzzle you see.
NONAME_TOWN.jpg

Rex, that town has Dushore written all over it. I used to have to drive 35 or so miles into the village of Dushore every week or so when I was Camp director at Camp Brule BSA 30 years ago. Now Dushore is way up in the hills of Pennsylvania but definitely centrally isolated. Ie: you can't get there from here! But then Dushore was the closest place to the camp that had a couple of stores. And while you're there, be sure to stop at the stoplight as it was the only one in Sullivan County, PA. OH and if you use the name, don't pave the road unless your layout is after 1960.........

Cobalt

Hey REX ! A+ on your hills and backdrop :)

We live 5 miles from the village of Cobalt. One traffic light there. If I put Cobalt, CT in google maps, it can't find it ! Still it's a pretty little village. What do you think ?

Larry

My old hometown was originally named Mudsock and it was a one bar whistlestop in the middle of a bog. The bar had a gangplank that ran all the way around it, but if someone had a little to much in the bar they would walk off the end of the gangplank and the mud would sock them in the face, hence the name Mudsock. Yes, Fishers, Indiana has a colorful history.

Perhaps this town has an equally colorful history?

And you might consider naming after a relative or friend...It's a great compliment or remembrance of a loved one. ;)

Not a bad idea here Rex, I don't know if I would name it after Carey though;) might give him a big head. :D

Hey Rex! How about Gatorland or Gatorville or... well maybe not. :)

A couple of small communities near me that I have always liked are Pine Barren and Mineral Springs. Regardless, your making some great progress my friend.

See Ya, Dave

Gary: that is quite a humorist list and a lot of names for ideas.

Shauna: I did that in the beginning of my layout, but then there were some comments (or evil looks)of, "Why didn't you use my name?". So, I decided to either use unique or real names. But thanks for the idea.

Larry: Thank you for the compliment. As with everything, still a lot to be done.

Ray: Deshore's description really does sound like my town's location:D .

Philip: That is funny! The history behind the names is always funny and interesting.

Well Heck! Guess I need to do some hard thinking and come up with something. Maybe a combination or maybe I will be lucky enough to have a "VISION".:D :D

Josh: There are some wild ones on that site. Some that are...uh...

Nick, I did make one exception: Jenkins Yard. THAT WAS A MISTAKE! Carey swelled up so big he couldn't get in the door. Then he started calling it HIS yard.:rolleyes: You can't win!:D :D

Hi DAVE! Glad to see you. Gator anything would get my layout burned down. That is almost as bad as Auburn. Something more like Tideland, Tideroll, Bamabend, Bamastomp, and etc... I already have a sign in mind, "Gator Tail, the breakfast of (real) champions.":D :D (Sorry folks, a little football humor) Drop me an email and let me know how your trip went.

Maybe something ... Springs, ... Bend

Last edited by a moderator:
or this one : Rexxington creek:rolleyes: :D :D
or Rexmile grove....Steelmile grove
or eisenmuhl creeck
this thread is fun Rex!

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
GEEZ, it seems easy to find a name, but this post prooved otherwise, so many ideas and still we haven't got the right one. How the hell did the people in the old days invent city or town names? ( where they helped by aliens :p ? ). This thread is surely giving us a hard time thinking :)

strange names

GEEZ, it seems easy to find a name, but this post prooved otherwise, so many ideas and still we haven't got the right one. How the hell did the people in the old days invent city or town names? ( where they helped by aliens :p ? ). This thread is surely giving us a hard time thinking :)

Sometimes I run into a town name that really makes me laugh....How can anyone live in a town called.......Normal.......Oblong........Fishkill

You get the idea. Town names just happen:rolleyes:

Back