N Scale trucks and couplers

ACL-CSX

Founder, NHRR; Founder, Nathan's Crossroads
What do y'all recommend for factory replacements on Bachmann cars and locomotives?

Jesse

Any trucks and/or couplers that are compatible with the engine/rolling stock is fine. Needless to say, some makes of trucks and couplers are better than others. I don't now how good the bachmann are but if I were replacing trucks I'd probably go with Micro Train or trucks and for couplers possibly Kadee.

End of the day though, going with the original versions will ensure compatibility and (possibly) a straight forward install.

Thanks. I haven't been able to run the train much, so I really don't know how good the Bachmann trucks are either. I've heard a lot of good things about the Kadee couplers though. I have a boxcar that I bought separately from the original train set and the couplers are different, so I'm looking to make them compatible and figured I may as well upgrade all of them. Since one of my Resolutions this coming year is to get serious about building a layout I want to make sure it's going to give reliable operation.

Jesse

Jesse,

I think Kadee couplers are probably the most well known and used. McHenry couplers are also good but (maybe) not as good as Kadee. If you are going to "upgrade" all of your rolling stock couplers then I would use the same couplers through out to ensure compatibility no matter what make you choose.

The biggest problem you'll face with the trucks is compatibility with the make of engine/rolling stock. The "top 5" for trucks (IMO) are:

Kadee (a non make specific manufacturer)
Kato
Fox Valley
Inter Mountain
Micro Trains

Bottom line for me is Kadee Trucks and Couplers:

https://kadee.com/htmbord/truck.htm

I agree Kadee is the way to go, I've used the couplers consistently starting in 85 to date. First time user, I would recommend buying the truck and coupler as one piece wheel set.

Just pull the pin of the Bachmann and replace it wheel set with the Kadee. You will also notice the Kadee comes with its own pin, be sure to use it.

Greg

Hello-
I see this is an old discussion but I'll take a chance. ;)
I am curious about the markings on Bachmann N scale couplers. Specifically the numbering "none, 1, 2" on the "tongue" of the coupler (there's no doubt a more correct term), anyway do the numbers have any significance?

thanks, steve

Back