N Scale RS-3 - Are they available?

rreitz

Hi - new to this forum. I'm building a small N scale switching layout and would like to find a new N scale RS-3 with DCC, preferably Atlas Master Series. I can't seem to find one anywhere. The Atlas website doesn't show that model on their webpage and all the on-line hobby retailers only show RS-1 and RS-2's. What's up with the RS-3? If an Atlas model is not available is there another manufacturer that would have equivalent quality as the Atlas Master series? Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi - new to this forum. I'm building a small N scale switching layout and would like to find a new N scale RS-3 with DCC, preferably Atlas Master Series. I can't seem to find one anywhere. The Atlas website doesn't show that model on their webpage and all the on-line hobby retailers only show RS-1 and RS-2's. What's up with the RS-3? If an Atlas model is not available is there another manufacturer that would have equivalent quality as the Atlas Master series? Thanks for any suggestions.
The Atlas RS3 has been around since the mid 1980s, and has been done, re-done, and re-redone ad nauseum. I have an early one that still looks and runs very well. If you absolutely have to have a DCC RS3, Bachmann makes an acceptable version. Otherwise, the RS2 would be a very good model.

Thanks. I have the ATLAS RS-2. There seems to be a zillion of those out there. I will check out the Bachmann model. I had read some posts about staying away from Bachmann N scale locos but maybe those were outdated.

It’s weird how you’ll have one version of something very common but another version is very rare

Thanks. I have the ATLAS RS-2. There seems to be a zillion of those out there. I will check out the Bachmann model. I had read some posts about staying away from Bachmann N scale locos but maybe those were outdated.
Yes, Bachmann has improved their products significantly. That doesn't mean they're perfect, or you won't get a random lemon, but their dud rate has gone from 90% bad, to 85-90% good.

Yes, Bachmann has improved their products significantly. That doesn't mean they're perfect, or you won't get a random lemon, but their dud rate has gone from 90% bad, to 85-90% good.
I did have bad luck a few months ago I got an O gauge Williams Bachmann and the motor seized after 3 months. Tho at that point I wasn’t quite as versed in breaking them in so

Back