N scale flanges and code 55 track

Burlington Bob

Does anyone know if all of the older Atlas/Kato N scale units will operate on Atlas code 55 track properly? I'm considering buying an older unit but not if there is a problem with oversize flanges. Thanks, Bob.

How old? If its more than ten years old it might have large flanges.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The really old atlas engines made in austria and yugoslavia most likely will NOT work on C55. My best guess is they were made in 1970's. I have three of them. Only the one of mine E7A made in austria runs. It's well made......runs excellent.....strong puller....and goes bumpidy-bump over the plastic frogs on my code 80 turnouts.

My two atlas locos made in yugoslavia were designed to have only one truck driven. They might have collector value......but even if they worked not much runner value.

I know that some of the Atlas/Kato locos will run on Code 55 track with no problems, just don't know if the earliest units have small flanges or pizza cutters. I bought a used SD9 at a train fair for $25 a year ago this spring that wasn't DCC ready, so I had to use a TCS CN-GP decoder in place of a drop in. It ran great before on plain DC but now on DCC, it will run with the best of them. Just curious if all of them would have the small flanges.

I have some of my old stuff that I will probably sell. The locos not much good and the rolling stock is all stuff from too new of an era. Yeah, all of the old stuff will cut pizza. One old Atlas steamer I used to have would even do a good job on a deep dish pizza! :)

These are the ones I mentioned above. They surely are pizza cutters. Flanges on engine at bottom of photo are hard to see but they are also too big for code 55. My fifteen other locos would work......and eventually would like to have a small upper level extension with code 55 track.

SDC11172_zpsf71af482.png

Back