N scale diesel wish list

I think LL of CA-CANADA possibly now TRUE LINE and RAPIDO TRAINS has the FM C-LINERS I know that LIFELIKE, TRUNGLE EAGAN and V-LINE did FM's ERIE BUILTS in N-SCALE

BCK RR

True-Line did them in HO Scale, based on the LL/Hobbycraft Proto 4-axle C-Liner. A new run, of much higher quality detail is coming (the old ones were good runners, but basic detail), and will also include N scale DC or DCC/Sound. Makes me really wish they ran where I model since I do love these old covered wagons.

Rapido is a completely separate company, although they do cooperate with TLT just enough to ensure they don't cross-compete.

In terms of wishlists, Rapido's upcoming GMD-1 covers most of mine.

I'd love to see an SW1200RS though, in both CN and CP, ditto an C8-40M. M420W's would be nice too.

I WON? ............ a 5 axle diesel loco on flea-bay. I don't know if its a Fairbanks-morse? I bought it not running, may be able to repair it or just use as a static display. I held off bidding on it, but no one seemed interested so I placed a min bid and...well it should arrive sometime this week.

It's likely a Fairbanks-Morse C-Liner, I don't think anyone has done an FL9 in N yet (Rapido is doing one, but it's at least a year away).

"It's likely a Fairbanks-Morse C-Liner".............................................................................. ..................... My odd 5 axle FM came today, I never knew (before this thread) that anyone ever made such an odd axle configuration... The body is in reasonably good condition, the trucks are OK but the motor is...... long gone as for running. I made a plastic flat plate (chassis) with the idea of maybe trying to power it... not an easy task as the motor is a vertical mount, instead conventional horizontal. The worm gear on the motor shaft directly drives the front truck gears/wheels. The 6 wheel rear truck is electrical piclup only. ....................................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JD

Hi mawz
Brigg's Models make an excellent M-420 in N scale, and I think he is working on a Dash-8-40CM.
Cheers
Steve
NZ

Good ol' C-liners

Those old Atlas locos (C-liner, or C24-5, by the way) are really pretty much junk as far as trying to get them actually running. Trying to fix one would be fairly problematic. I suppose with some actual engineering and fabrication it's possible, but their drives aren't anything even remotely like newer locos. I got two sets (A-A, one powered and one dummy), and while the powered units did run, they were never what we would today consider "good-running" even new, and of course they're over 40 years old now.

What is extremely possible and makes for some good additions to the roster, though, is to do a little body work and make them look a bit better, then paint them up and stick a dummy unit in front of powered b-units. Makes for a very nice and quite unusual bit of motive power. While my CN paint job isn't quite perfectly prototypical, it is representative and the NYC unit is completely prototypically accurate. I'm sure there's some rivets out of place, but it's about as good as can be done with that body.

By the way, if you decide to do this, you have to do it with a dummy unit. The powered units can't be turned into dummies without the above-mentioned engineering & fabrication skills because the motor is what the front truck is attached to. No way to just take out the gears and make it free-wheeling like more modern locomotives.

View attachment 4562
I'm currently building a live five axle set using u25b chassis modified and a rear fairbanks morris rear 3 axle truck and the stock u25b truck in the front it's gonna work imagine 5 axle ABBA dcc C liners I kit bashed a B unit from two cab units the B
received_960666831085502.jpeg
turned out cool.two I.put plastic inside where the slanted window is it looks cool.

Back