n scale code 55 atlas turnouts

Colon

Hi

I am in the early stages of building a layout and am using Atlas track (which may have been a mistake). As my rolling stock runs over a turnout every axle does a little jump. After much trying to see what is going on I have come to the conclusion that the frog isn't deep enough for the wheel flanges, so they ride up. My rolling stock is new, so not pizza cutters. One wagon, in particular, is derailing as it does the little jump, which is very frustrating.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Is this an Atlas problem or do other brands have the same issue?
Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Cheers

Colon

I had an Atlas code 83 crossing that was giving me trouble as it was not deep enough for one of my locos with large diameter flanges on the wheels. To solve the problem I carefully cut out the plastic where the flanges were bottoming out.

I don’t know if you want to do that on your turnouts. You might end up ruining them. Then again if you only have to modify them very slightly and have a steady hand you might get away with it. If it is only one turnout that is giving you trouble it is worth a try.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for your reply. The bit where the wheels ride on the flanges is metal. I don't have a file small enough to get in there to file it down. I am not sure I can anyway without actually removing that bit. The Atlas turnouts are disappointing; in addition to this issue they also aren't straight on the through track, there is a definite curve. One of them I have to hold in the turn position so the train doesn't try to go in two directions at once. Whether this is a design or manufacturing fault I don't know, but the thought of removing the turnouts and replacing them with another brand is not pleasant. I guess I will have to live with it for now and try to mitigate the problem by lowering the speed (which can cause problems on the unpowered frogs).

Thanks again

I have now vastly improved the performance of these turnouts by using a Dremel to cut the frog deeper. The trains roll much smother now

I have found that with Atlas Code 100 HO Turnouts, that a similar problem can exist. However, instead of the frog being to deep, the problem is the frog is not deep enough. The "Bump UP" is not consistent with my cars and some cars "Bump UP" and some cars don't. So, my input here is that I feel car flanges are not a consistent dimension. Some are deeper and some are not. I have found inconsistencies in frog depth; but, they are only a few thousandths of an inch. Measuring the depth of the flange is a difficult measurement to make as there is a .014 radius in the corner between the Flange and the tread of the wheel. Per NMRA Standards and Recommended Practices S-4.2 for HO the flange depth is supposed to be .028 Standard and .71 Metric. RP-25 also effects these dimensions, too. I don't see where tolerances are discussed for wheel dimensions at either S-4.2 or RP25. If someone knows what they are, please speak up. I am getting out of HO, not because of this; but, because my interests have changed; so, I won't be considering this anymore.

Last edited:

Back