N-Scale Alcos

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Guess the best place to find out about N-scale products is from those who use them. I have a friend who would like to do a CB&CNS in N scale. However this rwy. started off with Alcos and even till now few mfg's produced any of these models except for the toy market.
Are there any " N- scale " Alco diesels available and if so who makes them?
Thanks Willis

Well, Life Like makes a very nice C425 and Atlas makes RS1, RS3, RSD5, C628 and C630 models that are outstanding. Kato makes a PA1, PB1, RS11, RSD12. These are all fine runners as well. :D

Gee it's strange (Andy) my friend didn't seem to know that, kind of be moaned the fact there were no C630's. Maybe he also doesn't know there is also a decal set he can use, so if he buys an undec 630, adds a few details and some paint he's out of excuses.
Are the C628 and C630's high or low short hood models?
Cheers Willis

I think that the C628's and C630's are low nose only at this point. Atlas has run high nose versions of their EMD's so I suspect that they will for the Century's as well. :)

Hi Jon, yes low nose is what is needed, the MLW's were built after Alco's problems and loss of sales to GM in the USA, but since Canada was late in Dieselization, the Alco's with a new dependable engine got off to a good start here. The Kato RS11 would make a good base for kitbashing a MLW RS18 and the LifeLike C630's could be the basis for a mainline fleet with a lot less modifications I have to make in HO.
Cheers Willis

The RS11 and RSD 12 were made by Kato for Atlas and have been out of production for a long time, they were pre-flywheel. Atlas had the RS11 on a published list of locos to do or redo a couple years ago. They have produced everything else on the list I believe, but no announcement of RS11's yet.
I bought a used RS11 at a train show last year and it's still pretty nice, though I may transfer the body to a 'Classic' RS3 chassis with flywheels someday, if Atlas doesn't do some new ones soon.

I have a used Kato RS2 in D&H livery and a set of new Life Like FA1-FB1's in NYC. The RS2 is sweet and responsive but a little light. The FA1-FB1 weigh twice as much each and really pull!

It's my understanding that the latest Atlas release of RSD4/5's don't have the center axle driven as the older RSD's did, this limits the traction and therefore my interest in them. [Got grades to climb.]

Life Like Canada makes an RS18. Very nice looking.
It's been difficult for me to find websites with LLC locos. Any leads?

MARK 4 DESIGN is puttin out resin cast high-nose mod kits for both ALCo and EMD locos.

Ken K
ALCo fan :D

Hi Ken, hope we are still talking N scale here. If those Locos have been out of production for awhile that is most likely why he hasn't mentioned them. If this is the case his best move is to watch on ebay for what he wants. Since he is an online friend I really have no idea of what he actually has, flywheel or not. Being in HO myself I guess my only interest in N is seeing what others are doing with it. I have to marvel at the detail some modelers and model manufacturers are doing in that scale. Even HO is getting difficult for my hands and eyes but I guess that's where I'll stay. I have to agree LifeLike is putting out some real nice looking models now and I'm thinking seriously of purchasing one.
It's been difficult for me to find websites with LLC locos. Any leads?
Wow not too many! I don't know if Kaslo Shops are turning out any shells in N scale but they do for Canadianized HO models. Overland Brass puts out an HO C630 but it's somewhat pricey although not too bad for brass. I build ( kitbash) my own oddballs out whatever will fit.
Cheers Willis

The RS11 shell will fit on a LifeLike GP20 mech if you put spacers in both ends of the shell.To get the correct trucks use the ones from the ATLAS B23-7.They are a drop in fit.

Using this mech(the GP20s are still available from LL for under $17.00) allows for an easier install of DCC if desired because of the low short hood nature of the GP20.Plus the 20 is an excellent runner.

Hi Catt, thanks for the info, I will pass it all on to Andrew, hmm! I believe most of his excuses are gone now. I figgured there had to be a way.
Thanks again
Cheers Willis

Yes I was talking N scale.
I have heard of the Life Like GP20 conversion for the RS11. That would save money over buying the RS11 and a Classic RS3 for about $50 each, though you'd have to obtain the B23 trucks as well. Since the RS3 has a lower body height, there will be room inside for DCC with the tall RS11 body. However the Classic RS3 is not DCC ready. Is the LL GP20 DCC ready? BTW-The RS11's have traction tires.

I was at the Kaslo site just a couple weeks ago, but I was looking at other stuff and don't remember what N loco stuff they had. I'll have to check again later.

Ken

Something else I just noticed. Atlas makes the C628, C630's, not Life Like.
Life Like does make a C424 [I think that's the number<g>].

I do wish that Life Like Canada would come out with ALCo FPA4's. The differences between the FPA4 and the FA2 are quite small but I feel significant. LLC would certainly be able to put the new body on the same chassis.
I need to stare harder at pics side by side, but besides the 2nd grille on the side of the body, and a roof mounted bell, what other differences are there?
While most of them would get decorated for the Canadian railroads, some units have come south to a few of the 'tourist' railroads, which might be worth producing in limited numbers.

Ken

besides the 2nd grille on the side of the body, and a roof mounted bell, what other differences are there?
I don't know, but I sure would like to know as I have plans for a couple doing passenger service on my layout. Yes the bell is quite noticable, I didn't know about the 2nd grille though. Guess I'll have to look closer at any of the photos I can find.
Cheers Willis

Willis,
On the ALCo F units there is a rectangular grill on each side towards the rear that is set in the body length grill work extending from the windows back. On the FPA4 [ & B units] there is an additional grill, approximately the same size, that is set below the first grill.
I asked myself what the Delaware and Hudson might buy next if they had wanted more passenger locos? FPA4's might not have the railfans lining up quite as fast as the PA's or the sharks, but they are a reasonable possibility. They are ALCo's for commonality, MLW is relatively close by for product support, they aren't as old as some other possibilities, and they were built to harsh winter standards.
I invision them taking over more of the [expanding] routine passenger service from the PA's as well as ski trains and special express fast freight service.
Standard sets would be A-B-A or A-B-B-A. I would drop the warbonnet paint scheme and go with the blue and grey Lightning Bolt scheme or something based on it.

Ken
Expanding Alternate Realities

Hi Ken, passenger trains around here were kind of short by the 70's I remember looking at the power on one in Truro (next town South) it had a FA??? and an F9, I was just starting to really get into model rail then so I'm not sure of the exact model. I may have taken a photo I guess I'll have to sort through them. The modest passenger service on the layout will be a reflection of the times.
Cheers Willis

Back