N.J.International #2162

iggy809

Run DC with a 2 track mainline. Want to install N.J.I #2162 RR grade crossing signals to flash and use a RC servo for gate. There are many flashing units from the Dallee #367 and Railroadmicro which are economical. The problem is 2 tracks and detection and crossing gate. I do not want block because I do not want to cut rails. I could settle on flashers only if i could get detection on 2 tracks.
Need an Expert to chime in. Thanks

Azatraxx works well. I also use Model Rail Technologies (MRT) crossing modules. MRT doesn't have a website, but you can contact him at modelrailtech@gmail.com . Both outfits use infrared emitter/detector technology, which is entirely independent of track power. The Azatraxx units can be mounted either between the rails, facing upward and relying on reflection off the bottom of the rolling stock, or mounted so the sensors are above the rails and rely on the rolling stock breaking the beam. I'm not sure if the MRT units can be utilized between the rails as the location where I have them on my layout has structure below the roadbed, so I had to mount them on top. The detection units are fairly small and can be disguised as part of a telephone pole, tree, or stand pipes. One advantage of the MRT units is a crossing bell module (which comes with a speaker) plugs directly into a connection on the crossing module. IR is great because you don't depend on ambient light to keep the system OFF. With visual light detectors, if you turn the room lights off, for night running, the lights flash with no train around them. IR works "day" or "night". There are places on my layout where I have used products from both, so as to actuate crossing gates (using Tortise switch machines to move the gate arms).

Or check out Logic Rail grade crossing pro. It uses optical or IR sensors and has an out put for using a Tortoise for activating the gates. It might also power a servo. Joe

Back