My yard

PabloSS71

Hi, i present my layout,is in full swing. First from left to right we have a small intermodal yard,then we have a yard center classification. Following thistwo accesses to the diesel maintenance yard ending with a turntable. In one of these accesses can be seen diverting doubleslip, which diverted a section of wineries that intend tobuild in the near future to create more game maneuvers loads,without hinderingthe flow on the main line.

patiogeneral.jpg

are saying?

Regards

PabloSS71

If you actually intend to switch cars there and are planning to run more than 1 train at a time (assuming the topmost track is the main) without a switching lead you will end up blocking the main.

Pablo, I agree with Dave...you should have a 'switching lead'.

Secondly, what scale is this? If it is larger than N scale, you are going to have quite a reach in to the back of this yard.

Thirdly, what is the purpose of the grey three-track stub yard at the inside left? The stub tracks are very short, so I would expect them to be for repairs to single items of rolling stock, or else maybe engine storage?

-Crandell

Excuse me, is HO scale, I've painted the general plan of the first level is better understood.
I do not understand when they refer to block the main line or 'switching lead. "
The tracks on the left correspond to a small intermodal yard, the length of these is more than 3.28 feet, so a composition of five spine car left comfortably.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards

planogeneralnivel1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The ladder tracks are the multiple parallel tracks in your main yard. A switcher wanting to shunt cars from one to the other, as you have it configured, must either shove or pull a cut of cars out onto the curved perimeter track accessing the ladders on both ends. When it runs the cut of cars on to the perimeter, it cuts off any further movement for other switching crews, which there always are in a typical yard. So, you need a track running parallel to the perimeter, or another track onto which the switcher and cut of cars can move, so that an incoming train can bring cars into the ladder while the switching continues. This switching track is called a "drill track".

Now that I look, I see that you also need an arrival/departure track.

You might wish to google 'railroad yard design" and look for terminology and function for a yard to work well.

Here is one that will get you started: http://www.housatonicrr.com/yard_des.html.

couldnt he just add a 3rd track to the top and have that as his main line and the 2nd one as the arrival/departure and then just add crossovers between them?

You should go pick up the last issue (June 2010) of MRR magazine, it's all about the yards and has alot of useful information and examples on designing yards.

When you switch cars, an engine coulpes to the cars to be switched, pulls it out of the track, past all the switches in the lead then starts shoving cars into the various tracks in the yard to switch them. While the switcher and the cut is being switched it has to be somewhere. Currently it will be on the inside main. So if you don't want to block the main then you need a track that the switcher and cut being switched can occupy. That is the switch lead or drill track.

Have you noticed that once you leave your yard there is no way to get back into it without stopping and shoving back into the yard, since there is only one crossover on the entire loop.

Since you are doing "intermodal", that implies modern era. Why do you need a turntable? I would put an engine service track where the intrmodal ramp is and move the intermodal yard to the loooooooong area where the leads to the turntable are.

Friends, thank you very much for your comments and also for the link, are very good. I had not taken into account that little great detail to block the main line with some training.

I was making some improvements and get the following result:

Are saying?

Excuse my English is not very good.

Regards

Pablo
Stgo, Chile

That's looking pretty good!
If you add another crossover lower down on the right main track where the A/D track meets you'd have a great yard!

BNSF (ex-BN) Eola Yard still has a turntable although I don't think it's used anymore. They severed McClure Road so I park on the southside of the tracks opposite the TT - maybe it's just a pit now.

So there is at least one precedent for having a TT with contemporary diesels. Many modelers feel that a TT though is a waste of space and $$ on a modern layout.

Hello friends,

After analyzing the design and try to make it as functional as possible, reach the following results ...

I deleted the TT and roundhouse gaining more space, intended for the parking and maintenance of diesel locomotives and a link back to the intermodal yard and yard general and one for yard locomotives ...

Greetings and thanks for your comments

Pablo

why not run that new lead to the intermodal yard all the way accross the inside of the top of the layout and ladder the intermodal yard off that lead with a crossover to the other yard from there. This gives you an out for switching and a longer lead for the intermodal yard. Maybe even get a second line to run along the new lead to the intermodal yard for staging the intermodal trains as they come and go. Over all it's looking good.
Dave

Friends,

Here I give you advances like this resulting in the courtyard as the final shot ...
The track are ready, now I'm working on what will be the diesel maintenance yard ...

hope you like ...

layout009.jpg

layout012.jpg

layout005.jpg

Regards

Back