My Very First G Scale!

Bat24SS

Needs more space.
Ok, new guy here, but only new to G Scale. If you didn't read my post in the "Show and Events" section, I'll give you a quick run down. I saw this beautiful engine at The Train Expo, knowing they go for $300 easy. I love Reading Lines and knew this was a hard to find engine. The guy sold it to me for $125. It's a SD-45. My very first G Scale.

I had a hard time with the rails, so I didn't push it. I'll work on those later, when I'm ready to run it. Any suggestions on getting those rails in? It seems like the paint has made the holes smaller.

And last, before the picture show... I'm looking to get an 8' diameter circle track. I like the US better then Euro track. Indoor only and power threw the tracks. Where's the best/cheapest place to get them?

Here's the pic of the SD-45 with a GP-30 in HO Scale, and a SD-45 in N Scale. Kinda like big brother and little brother, with step child in the center. :D
DSC_6390p.jpg

MyReadingSig.png

Congrats on your first G scale locomotive! Its a beauty.

I've always wanted a G scale D&RGW model for display (would love to have a large scale RR but don't know where it would fit). Maybe one of theses days... ;)

I would LOVE to do some garden railroading. Perhaps a future home.

Thanks for sharing! It's always cool to see the same source material in different scales. Do you plan to get / make a 7601 SD-45 in HO scale to match? What about additional scales?
________
Mercedes-Benz C208 History

Last edited by a moderator:
Any suggestions on getting those rails in? It seems like the paint has made the holes smaller.

Just use a drill bit to re-bore the holes, find out the rail diameter and use a bit the same size, that'll give enough room for you to squeeze them in easier

congrads, those things always amazed me.
when my kid grows older i do want to try and build garden railroad as well.

Do you plan to get / make a 7601 SD-45 in HO scale to match? What about additional scales?

One of these days, YES. But these are the only scales for me. Well, for now at least. I wasn't into G Scale until a few weeks ago. :D

MyReadingSig.png

I have put up a shelf around the ceiling of a spare room using 1 x 6"s. About a foot down. Works fine and can be used year round. You can get Bachmann sectional track pretty cheap to get started and then use it under the tree during the holiday's.

Bob

I think your gonna love the over size and of G scale...but you'll cry when you spending money on track....lol

Well, brass yes, I'm crying. But in the future, when I get a back yard, I think I'll go with Aristocraft's aluminum track. Much cheeper in price.

MyReadingSig.png

Well, brass yes, I'm crying. But in the future, when I get a back yard, I think I'll go with Aristocraft's aluminum track. Much cheeper in price.

MyReadingSig.png

I've heard some good things about their track! I gotta 'so called' friend thats trying to build a display trailer for shows, and hes trying to get Aristocraft to sponsor the track....

Back