My unnamed railroad... the beginnings... (Can't think of a name yet...lol)

Pitt-Trolley

I have recently broken ground, so to speak on my layout. I don't have a name for it yet, but it will be both a train and trolley operation...

Here's the basic design...

Bennear2.jpg

Everything in red, yellow and green are for trains, the blue is dedicated trolley. The little stretch of gray goes through a wall (which I may remove and expand the layout) into my future "RR Workshop & Rail Storage Center" I am planning on DCC for everything. Layout size is about 21'X8'. Scale is now HO, was going to be N, but I'm getting older...lol

This is where the layout is going to go... Before everyone wonders, the basement doesn't leak anymore, and those issues have been addressed... House sat empty before I got it...

20191110_192832.jpg

On to construction...

20191215_174425.jpg

I think this is the hardest part for me...

20191216_112603.jpg

20200102_225008.jpg

20210103_172934.jpg

Slow but sure...I need some totes... Going to go and get a few today. All my stuff was in the living room...lol... Moved it to the bench, now I can't work! lol

Here's some of what I plan to run. It will be DCC, I need to figure out how to add DCC to some of the older stuff. I also wish I had made the blue a wee bit lighter...

20201107_203938.jpg

In some ways, I wish there was a way to make it a DCC/DC combo, as Then I wouldn't have to figure out how to add the DCC to the older stuff... But I'm not sure that's remotely possible, or if that's even something to worry about.

20200911_163155.jpg

20201107_203659.jpg

20200911_163211.jpg

Some of the rest coming soon! But, there you have it. The beginnings of my still unnamed rail system. I am open to any suggestions you may have for names, or whatever else... This is my first layout..Newbie for sure!

Shawn

Hi Shawn, and welcome!
Looks like you're off to a running start, interesting mix of equipment.
Covering the ceiling above the layout is a good idea, painting or covering the floor would be good too.
Looking at your track plan, have you considered reach to the far corner? Maybe an access hatch would help but might require a change in plans.
Keep us posted on the progress!

Hi Shawn, and welcome!
Looks like you're off to a running start, interesting mix of equipment.
Covering the ceiling above the layout is a good idea, painting or covering the floor would be good too.
Looking at your track plan, have you considered reach to the far corner? Maybe an access hatch would help but might require a change in plans.
Keep us posted on the progress!

Actually, I made a cutout in the wall to allow access to the layout from the future gameroom/bar area. It will be covered by a large picture, with the back being painted to match the blue, hinged, with a magnet to keep it in place. The hard part is finding a picture that isn't ugly...lol

20200102_224939.jpg

Welcome and it looks like a great start. My projects are on hold while I help the kids through their current home projects during my "time off".

It seems that I've seen pictures of that room before.
Names for the railroad can just be initials. Use your kids initials, i.e. XXX&X railroad.

There is a way to set up for both DC and DCC: You wire the layout for DC (as many blocks as necessary/desirable). If you have reverse loops or crossovers, you would need to install DPDT toggle switches on your control panel or one of those polarity matchers. Your main electrical buss wire from the control panel to the track is connected to the center terminals of a DPDT switch. One set of contacts on one side of the switch is wired to the DCC controller or booster if you are using an NCE Power Cab. The other set of contacts goes to a DC power pack. Mount that toggle on your control panel with markings so you know which is which type of power. You MUST, of course, set the toggle to DC for those locomotives to the DC side (remember, the way the toggle faces usually connects to the contacts on the OPPOSITE side of the switch). If you want to run more than one DC engine at separate places on the layout you will need to install SPST On-Off switches for each block to park one engine while running another. With DCC that won't be necessary because you can use different addresses for each locomotive (NOT talking about multiple units, e.g., an F7A-F7B combination...that's called consisting) on your DCC controller. I have far too many old DC engines from over 60 years of model railroading, and there is no way I could afford the time or money to convert them all. I did convert five steam locomotives to DCC with sound so I could hear them go choo-choo! For that, I prefer Soundtraxx Tsunami decoders. Once I figured out what wire went where and insulated the motor from the frame, I got great results. Hope this is of some help! As to a name for your layout, what towns will the road serve? You might use a combination of those names, plus possibly a direction. For example, my layout is the Grashhook, Galesburg and Western Division of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. (Grashhook was a fictitious place my grandfather came up with when I was about five years old.) The G.G.&W. serves in the late 1940's up to about 1960, with Zephyr, Empire Builder and North Coast Limited passenger trains and "Q" freight. It is a folded dogbone in a 14' x 14' room. I run one train at a time, even with DCC capability, as I have a limited ability to walk and chew gum at the same time...never have. ;)
Have fun. Stay well and safe!

Hi Shawn,

I was looking at your collection of motive power in the one photo above. From the looks of it, many of them look like 'train set locos from the 1970's,' which were notoriously poor runners, even when they were new. When you get further along, you might want to consider upgrading to some newer versions of the same things, if you really like them, as reliability if important if you want to be the hobby long term. Some of the decoders out today, might be worth more than several of the engines you have in the picture. Personally, I don't have an issue running most the rolling stock from the same period, by the same manufacturers, as they've run well for years, and I can always upgrade the couplers and details, some, if I'm so inclined.

Do you have any ideas in terms of the scenery you would like for your layout? Sometimes a location will drive the trackplan.

Pictures are always a hit, so love to see how things are going, even if they are going slow.

All the best,
Carl "Otis"

Sorry its been a while since I have been on here... Summer has kept me busy with 6 days a week of work... Now I'm working 4 days a week, so I should have more time, especially with winter coming...

Not much has happened, since I am not sure I'm going to go with the track plan I have. Seems like in my head, at least the way I'm looking at it, there won't be a whole lot of room for scenery... I could be wrong...

Since I am planning on DCC and DC, I have these two power packs... Debating on which one to use. I am leaning to the Tech II myself. Also considering knocking out the small tunnel I made through the wall, and removing the wall on that side, as its a non load wall, and expanding the layout into what I was calling the "shop" room...

20201107_203858.jpg

20210818_200225.jpg

I have been to a few train shows as well, scored some more cars and power units... I seriously need to lay some track so I can actually RUN a few...lol

20210818_200319.jpg

Had to have this one, got it for 225 new in the box. Gives me a lot of Amtrak equipment.

20210818_203508.jpg

Picked up 7 amfleet cars and a baggage car for $70 bucks for all. And they are lighted... So now I have amfleet for the P42 engines and some superliners, In addition to the Acela set.

20210818_200031.jpg

Got this one off Facebook marketplace. Nice addition.

Sometimes I wish I had stayed with N scale, but I can see these since I'm getting older...lol

One strong suggestion about the ceiling: Do NOT sheetrock it! Go to a drop ceiling, even if you only "drop" it a few inches or so. With all the wires I see in the one picture, you may need access to them as well as to piping, etc. I had the ceiling in my basement partially finished in sheetrock, and a few other places with a drop ceiling. BIG MISTAKE! Had problems with telephone wiring and a few other things. Fortunately, I was able to work around MOST, but not all in the areas either left unfinished (my shop) and places where I had the drop ceiling installed.

As far as a name for your new pike is concerned, you could use the name(s) of places it will go to, or the division of a favorite railroad, or some variation on that theme. Good luck, and kept us posted on your progress!

Back