My Turntabale

BNSF4723

My Updated Turntable

Well I am just about finished with My Turntable here just gotta find the time to make the Track Powered,Hopefully I can doo it right.I hope i did not say anything wiring for you guy's not replying latley.Been busy these last few days.Thanks for your Replies and Help.CNBNCFan The Diagram you posted for me I appreciate that alot.But when ever I rotate the Turntable the Rails snag the Jointer you see in the Photos.But you did not waste your time posting the Diagram for me.Thanks Once Again You All.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend who used the hand crank from a "trellis window" to move his turntable. He used part of the louvered glasspane mechanisium arm to go from the side of the layout to the turntable gear. A rod attached to the rotating handle should worn, also.
I'll have to look closer at his gearing on the underside of the table.
He doesn't have to worry about indexing to the 9 stall roundhouse tracks or the speed of the electric motor.
You could try something like this until you decice it "needs" to be electrified.

OK BNSF, looking at the first photo, what turns? The whole smaller diameter parts #1 and #2 ?
Just part #1? or Just part #2?
I'm just making a guess here but I hope you have some more parts. Perhaps depending on what underneath part turns with the track a pulley system would be the easiest.

13.gif
Willis

Ok CBCNfan.The whole Turntable Rotates Manually by me.The Phot 1-2 are teh same Turntable.Just that the Underneat part of it is what it looks like under the Turntable.The Blue-Yellow Wires you see are Soldered too a Track that you in Photo 1.Witch is the top of my Turntable.So is there any chance I can re do this so that the wires will not turn and get tied up together.Thanks Bud.

1: to eliminate the need for wires up the middle you could solder small brass wipers to the track bottom on the entry track so when the turntable isllined up power will be routed straight through much like a track connector
2: Fergie put a motor onto a turntable not long ago, he got a pretty inexpensive motor from somewhere but i can't remember where, i'm sure he will be able to help

you can cut them out of flat brass/bronze sheet, they only have to be just a bit bigger than standard track connectors, this should give you a good idea how it works, the pic's not to any scale
133753426.gif

Thanks Steve B your Suggestion had worked out Great,I has some Life Like HO Track Sections that were on Black Road bed.Plastic they had a Copper Piece like half a Railjointer,one part is Flat the other slides on the Track.So I just removed it from those Tracks works just fine.Thanks man

To make it work by motor or even a crank type device you'll have a lot of work ahead of you. I've attached a couple of drawings for you to look at. First is a diagram showing my version of how I would make the wipers as Steve B has suggested. It's my opinion you should do as Steve suggests.
The second drawing shows a simple pulley system with a crank handle. You might be better off turning it by hand unless you wish to get into a bit of work. In order for a belt system to work the two axels (crank and turntable center) cannot be wobbly therefore they have to be held verticaly fixed and that is why I show a support piece at the bottom. Idealy it should all be supported by bearings to prevent binding, but we can discuss what is shown and how to improve on it.

13.gif
Willis

Ok Thanks CBCNFan,Say I want to Glue the Wipers down there flat now but I want to glue them on the Edges,Would Elmer's Glue be ok or Testor's Glue.Also My Turntable is just sitting there in that hole it is still on The Board but.When ever I turn it wants too jump all over the place.SO I will try your Suggestions you have given me.The Crank I have is from a Cheese Grader I think not sure,I will post a Photo of it soon.When ever I get my Digital Camera Back.Thanks Again you guy's.

Say CNBCFan do you have Yahoo Messenger or MSN Messenger if so what is your E-Mail for both so I can Add you too my Contact Lis,Then we can Chat

I want to Glue the Wipers down there flat now
Sorry friend, but glue won't do it. The wipers have to have good electrical contact to the rails, glue would insulate the joint and the turntable rails would be dead. Soldering the wipers to the rails would be your best method.

Say CNBCFan do you have Yahoo Messenger or MSN Messenger if so what is your E-Mail for both so I can Add you too my Contact Lis,Then we can Chat
Well let's see now, I did have MSM messenger for awhile but I deleted it, too much of a pain in the tushy when I want to do my thing online. No haven't tried Yahoo messenger, I don't do chat, I had enough of the MSM thing, I'm all cured now :D
My e-mail, LOL there's 78 unanswered email messages in the IN Basket right now why would you want your's there too, I'll be deleting them all tomorow so I'll have a fresh start for the new week :D
Actually BSNF your best bet on getting any answers from me is right here on the forums

MMmmmm where to start? This may take some time so bear with me.

aap.sized.jpg

afs.sized.jpg

These are the "Nuts & Bolts" of the operation. The 1.5 Inch stereo jack from Radio Shack is the pivot point and the centring for the oversized gear wheel from an R/C Dune Buggy (sold at most LHS's dealing in R/C Cars/trucks, etc. Though the Jack is a three pole I only use two (+/-) and because I'm DCC I use an "Auto reverser inline to change polarity when the train leaves the TT on to the line. This system eliminates any need for wipers. The smaller gear wheel is hooked upto the motor shaft and the motor
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/DCM-245/search/6_RPM_GEARHEAD_MOTOR_.htm
is attached to the base using a thin plexiglass base plate.

ahi.sized.jpg

ahh.sized.jpg

ahn.sized.jpg

OK this drawing is not to any scale, as I have no idea of the measurements of the actual turntable, but is presented as an idea of how to power the turntable tracks.
The Slip rings are of a shim type material such as Brass, cut to size, to fit around the turntable shaft, and bonded to the shaft with a cement. When cutting out the Slip ring, a tab where the leads to the turntable rails can be soldered to is included.
The wiper arms lightly touch the slip rings transferring the current from the lead tracks (or power pack) through the wiper arms to the slip rings. The best insulating material would be a phenolic material or even plastic. Wood will be fine but it should be sealed so as to prevent expansion or warping with moisture.

Now for movement of the turntable and possibly motorizing it later, may I suggest the mechanism from a small "Lazy Suzann" / "old record player" /
turntable mechanism from a scrapped microwave oven. Anything with a flat base on which to mount the turntable assembly. I sure this can be workable but it will take a little ingenuity and work to have it all lined up properly.
13.gif
Willis

Thanks Willis for all the time help you gave me I am still working on it now.But taking a break from the Trains awhile been donw in the Room for 4 weeks.Need a Break

Back