My trackplan- comments?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Hi Dingo, I see you're discovering the Joy of Track Planning software!:D

That's a major improvement over the penciled-in drawing you started out with. Does RTS let you 'vitually test' trains on it, to see if curves are too tight, grades too steep, etc.?

Are any of your curves broader than 22" radius? If not, you may be able to use curved sectional track and fasten it together temporarily without permanently attaching it, so you can see if your intended locos and rolling stock will handle it OK. (Since my mainline curves are broader, I didn't have that luxury - I had to use flextrak)

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
Nope all are 22". One is actually 21" but atlas doesn't let me draw that very easy so I used a 22". My current mainline curves are 18", so I should be ok. The biggest power I'll run is SD40s if I go w/ CGW in '68. But all IANR runs are GP38-2s and a GP20 so I'm good there.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
I'm confused. How can you design a layout if you have two time lines that you say have different needs and haven't decided which one you are going to build. IT seem to me the next step is to decide which direction you are going.

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
SpaceMouse said:
I'm confused. How can you design a layout if you have two time lines that you say have different needs and haven't decided which one you are going to build.
Chip, this is where hot-swappable structures come in handy!:D I do that with my KFC and my gas station, depending on whether I want to run B&O [1970] or CSX [1995] motive power. I'll probably do the same with others as I find time.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
CSX_road_slug said:
Chip, this is where hot-swappable structures come in handy!:D I do that with my KFC and my gas station, depending on whether I want to run B&O [1970] or CSX [1995] motive power. I'll probably do the same with others as I find time.

Then he needs to make that decision--although pulling that off would be toughter than doing one or the other.

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
Because, both roads serve the same area. IANR Operates some ex-CGW trackage. The only thing that will have to be done different depending on era, is the ethanol plant. Which will be the last thing I build until I decide which era.

Heres my new plan
layout08final9wn.png

What is labeled a RI interchange, will be that until the staging yard is added. Then it won't be an interchange. Chip, I see what you meant about stuff not fitting. I can easily add a foot (or two) to the "branch line", which I may have to do as that last spur (top and bottom, for that matter) doesn't work at all.

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
I made this one real quick to get it posted on time. I do plan on extending the "branch line" 1 or 2', so if any of those spurs are too sharp (curvature) it will be fixed.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
Take a look through Walther's and pick out a few buildings Get the sizes and foot prints. How many will fit on your "branch line?" Are you going to have room for roads and parking? Some of your industries have less that 4" of space.

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
I have picked out all my industries.
Let me number the spurs and I'll post a list of industries.

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
I will definitly need that extra foot or 2 for the "Kampton branch".
indsutries-
1- Cenntennial Mills (back wall only)
2- Brewery (back wall only)
3- Heritage Furniture (back wall only)
4- Columbia Feed mill
5-Valey Growers assoc grain elevator
6- If I went modern day ,I'd have the ADM elevator here, but for 1968. I don't know what to put there.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.