My trackplan- comments?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
I see what youre getting at. But as I've stated before, this plan isn't exact and I'm sure some things may not fit, this just gives you the general idea. I'm more of a 'plopper' than a 'planner'.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
dingoix said:
I see what youre getting at. But as I've stated before, this plan isn't exact and I'm sure some things may not fit, this just gives you the general idea. I'm more of a 'plopper' than a 'planner'.

People have been saying this all along. How can we take your plan seriously when you don't? That's okay if that's what you want to do. But when we can see what you have doesn't fit, there's no use in commenting.

HaggisKennedy

Coal Shoveler
From my perspective, I'll continue to offer general comments for guidance and advice so that you can have more insight when you actually start doing the 'plopping'....

:)

Kennedy

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
HaggisKennedy said:
From my perspective, I'll continue to offer general comments for guidance and advice so that you can have more insight when you actually start doing the 'plopping'....

:)

Kennedy

I can admire that.

Cjcrescent

Master Mechanic
Dingoix;

I'm taking your plan and laying it out in Xtrkcad, to see what fits, etc...

As soon as I get the time to finish it, I'll let everyone see what it looks like and then we'll get some good suggestions.

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
Thanks a bunch. also, I have added a RI interchange- it's just a spur in the bottom right corner that is a few feet long and then runs off the layout. It suggests that the RI main is just beyond the layout and this is the connecting track.

Cjcrescent

Master Mechanic
Ding;

Attached is a plan drawn in Xtrkcad, based on the deminsions and rough drawings as I interperted them. Except for mainline turnouts which are #5's (can be 6's or 4's) all others are straight #4's. There are no wyes, curved turnouts etc. that could make construction difficult or more expensive than necessary.

What do you think. Is it close?

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
As a general assessment. What you have is a massive yard and a few industries. The main point of the yard as I see it is to classify trains. With no staging, you will be limited in operational variety as to how the trains are classified. Your yard ceases to be a classification yard and becomes a defacto staging yard. My club has a yard like this and switching is limited to setting full trains in yard tracks for the next person to take on a loopty loop. It may not be that bad, but not much better either.

You have one passing siding near the yard and no run-arounds which means all of your industrial switching depends on your wye. Using your wye in this way, if you plan to use the size of trains that your passing siding would indicate, will tie up the main and prevent the running of more than one train, which is ultimately the purpose of the siding.

My questions at this point would be 1) What is the purpose of your railroad?; 2) How do you see it running?; and 3)What is the unifying theme that ties it all together?

Perhaps you've answered those questions already, I've forgotten.

I'm also wondering about the purpose of the auxiliary yards off the main double ended yard. First of all I wonder at their purpose, maybe some sort of deep storage for cars to be delivered at a later date? At any rate, a single switcher will have to jump through hoops to switch both sides. Unless that long track on the right side of the yard is your intended runaround. But that jambs up the main yard for switching. Sorta thinking and typing here. I like plans to make obvious sense. Maybe I'm missing it.

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
Well, lets see-
1- there will be staging eventually. That's a bit lower on the list.
2- um.. yeah. That "passing siding" is also a yard lead for both ends and an arrivial/departure track. But I also don't plan to run more than 1 train at a time because (A) 99% of the time I'll be operating by myself (2) I don't want to introduce more wiring. The yard and that siding are run off a seperat power-pack from the main, tho.
3- the train that will serve the "branch line" will be a daily local, of prolly about 10 cars. But- I may add a seperate leg od the wye so the main is no longer a leg. That's where the train would sti while the engine is makin pickups and setouts.

supper time, gotta go. Be back later.

Cjcrescent

Master Mechanic
Ding;

After using RTS5 to design what would be the club's permanent layout and then downloading RTS7, and learning to use it, My advice is to go with the Xtrkcad. Its available from Sillub software and like RTS is free. Its a lot more versatile, (its not limited to one makers' track products) and once you get the hang of it you can even design any special turnouts you may need. I think its easier to use than any of the RTS software, and it is definitely superior.

There's even a link to their site under Layout Design Programs here.

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
I think I"ll manage with RTS.
layout0737th.png

I redid the yard a bit- 3 double ended tracks and 3 stub tracks. Based on a design seen in Track Planning For Realistic Operation. Those 3 tracks opposite the yard are for the diesel shop. The building somewhat below that with 3 tracks going to it is the roundhouse (whihc may or may not be in the final plan). The open area on the right will be a large ethanol plant (if i go w/ modern day IANR). That's about it. I'll post what the original plan looks like later.
Chip, what "auxilary yards" -Are you seeing the 2 diesel shops? (6 tracks)

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
I'll try to draw a better plan soon. I'm new at RTS, but I'm kinda getting the hang of it.

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
Well, If I had all double ended tracks, I could only have and the shortestr would have to be about 2 cars long. I kinda re-worked it to have 4 double ended tracks and 6 stub tracks. I'll post it in a minute- any suggestions? This yard is now a major bottle neck.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
Don't take this the wrong way. Are you adding tracks and taking away tracks because you can or does every track have a carefully thought-out purpose? Do your industries integrate with your location and era? What are the track demands of the individual industries?

Are you building the track first and going to figure out the industries and scenery later (no vision) or do you have a vision where you can see the industries and scenery and are building the trackwork to fit your vision?

dingoix

Certified CGW expert
I know what industries I'll have but I'm not sure if the yard will have enough capacity.
First off- I'm not sure if I'm gonna model IANR in '06 or CGW in '68. If I chose '06, there will be a large ethanol plant, which would generate AT LEAST 10 loaded tanks a day, plus require at least 10 cvrd hoppers full of corn. And then you've got the empties. But since that would a a "block train (grain cars and tank cars) it could just run to staging, maybe drop off a few empty hoppers in the yard before leaving town. Anyway- I moved a turnout and can fit 5 double ended tracks. I think I'll just build that far and then if the yard doesn't have enought cap, I'll add a few stub tracks.If I have staging, those 5 tracks might be enough.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.