My Three Controllers

Brakeman Hal

(No, this does not star Fred MacMurray)😄

On the left is my MTH controller, which is compatible with engines with DCS decoders, and also DC locos.

Next is my Digitrax controller, which is compatible with engines with DCC decoders, and also DC locos.

Last is my 45-year-old MRC controller, which is compatible with DC-ONLY engines. It will run ALL locos but will not produce sounds from their decoders.

The MTH unit has many more prototypical functions than the Digitrax, and even has a variable 5-step volume control that works while the locomotive is in motion.
Hal

IMG_5162.JPG

Last edited:
I will be surprised at how many get that reference! :D

But that's the only part I understood as I know nothing about those new-fangled controllers. I still use MRC DC stuff.

I have an MRC Prodigy 2 DCC system which the display only half works on. I also have (had) a MRC Tech 2 Railmaster 2400 that I can (could) switch between. Just this past weekend I was running an old Athrean F unit when it derailed. I left the controls alone and tried to re-rail. then nothing. I looked over at the Tech 2 and it was dead. No lights, no nothing. It doesn't reset and the screws are inaccessible and don't appear to be a head type that I have. I think if I replace, I may avoid MRC.

Well I dug out the ancient bronze metal covered MRC controller that I had replaced with newer model that failed. Very clearly printed on it is 'Circuit Breaker Protected'. Now why didn't they include a breaker on the newer model? Frankly, this old second controller works just as well.

Back