My Riverside Division, 1954. (ATSF, SP, UP MV&P)

After looking for a good subject to build a layout for months, I came across Sperandeo's ATSF "San Jacinto Division" Trackplan, which can be found in the January 1980 MR. This plan had most of what I wanted, and a very appealing locale, and with some modifications to the trackplan, I was able to create a pleasing, working plan which suited me nicely.

First, Here's a "Primer" for the Layout:

ERA: 1940-1960 (1954)
Railroads Featured: AT&SF, SP, UP, MV&P
Locale: Area around Riverside, Southern California.

Emphasis on Waybill/Car card operation.

Description of Layout:
A nice single track mainline w/ sidings, which connect three towns: Perris,Ca, Hemet, and San Jacinto. There is a 4 track yard at Highgrove; RR "north" of Perris.

Scenery:

Endless Citrus Groves, and gentle rolling plains, with San Jacinto Mt. Range in distance on backdrop. Perris is the main city and will feature the old California Southern Depot, which is currently on the Natn'l Register of Historic Struuctures.

Here's some photos of the area, courtesy of Mr. Marty Quaas. (used with his permission)

Here's an ATSF F7A pulling into the Victorian-Era Station at Perris, CA.

OERMtrip4sm.jpg

Here's the Industrial district in Hemet, Ca.

Hemet5sm.jpg

Here's a photo from 1965 at Box Springs, just outside of Riverside.

Boxsprings2sm.jpg

I hope you enjoyed just some of the great photos of this Area. I'll post some more pictures, along with layout progress in the following posts of this thread.
Enjoy!

-Miles

How about some layout photos!

(As the thread progresses, make sure to tune in to regular updates!)

Let's Start at the roundhouse, where most journeys start anyway.
Most of the Mission Valley& Pacific's roster is shown here.

4-29-07085.jpg

Here's the Pride of the MV&P, FT No. 100.

4-29-07078.jpg

Here's another picture of the turntable, showing the weathering I did, making sure to have the oil-soaked portion face the pre-EPA roundhouse. ;)

4-29-07065.jpg

Looking at the roundhouse from the otherside.
4-29-07067.jpg

Track maintence car sits in the roundhouse.
4-29-07064.jpg

Here's the fledgling engine service facility.

4-29-07069.jpg

Further down the line is the San Jacinto Depot, one of the Rare common Standard design #1's found on the pacific division. (Modeler's Liscence)

4-29-07070.jpg

What do you think?

You're off to a great start, Miles. I think you chose a terrific prototype to model from. How about posting the trackplan so I can see it again?

Great photos and layout plan!:cool: Looks like you know exactly what you're aiming for, I can't wait to see more progress pics.

Oh BTW - welcome to the forum!

That plan is terrific, one of the best I have seen in my opinion. It should provide plenty of operating fun for a long time.

Thanks for the Welcome Ken! :wave: I'll have an updated plan one of these days.. At any rate I finished one of Walther's "Valley Citrus Packers" the other night, and though I'd share! :)

4-29-07001-1.jpg

4-29-07002.jpg

4-29-07003.jpg

Enjoy!

Oh man Miles thats awesome, how come I never saw a thread about this on the-gauge? Very sweet subject matter!

Oh, btw are those the Athearn Model A's?

The Ford Model A's are STUNNING! If you whip out one of your magnifying glasses (I can see them with my < 20/20 vision) you can read the blue Ford above the radiator!! The rest of the car is excellently detailed, except they took a major shortcut with the spoked wheels, yick! I quick highlight of body-colored paint, and they'll look less hideous than the one-piece casting that they are. Jordan Makes excellent "replacement" (you'll have to buy one of their Model "A" kits and "pick n' pull" the kit for 'em but it may be worth it).

BTW, Josh, can you still not find the MALIBU or Fresh Cherries cars at your wally-world? I think we can arrange a deal.. They're plentiful at mine, and I've gotten my share! PM me if interested!

As Far as I'm Concerned, I've left the gauge. I was fed up with it a long time ago, and selling me some of my stuff to you guys over there was one of my last things I wanted to do there. So now, I'm here! :)

At any rate, stay tuned, I update OFTEN! :)

Dude! Welcome.

I grew up in So Cal and I have to say that the spot you picked to model has to be the most gawd-aweful place in the country. Hot, dry, smoggy, asphalt and desert. There are so many really cool places to model in So Cal. Why there?

Other than that, the plan and your work looks really good.

Dude! Welcome.

I grew up in So Cal and I have to say that the spot you picked to model has to be the most gawd-aweful place in the country. Hot, dry, smoggy

I don't think Miles is such a rivet-counter that he is going to go as far as modeling those aspects of the prototype! :D

As a matter of fact, I am willing to bet that Miles' layout is in an air conditioned room!

Welcome Miles, Love the prototype pics and your layout pictures so far. Those old cars are awesome !!!

Chip,

HAHA! I can completely agree about it being "gawd-aweful" today, but when I'm modeling it, it look alot like THIS! (second picture down)

Secondly, I was born in Orange, Ca and it was still a fairly nice place to live back when I was little. I live up north now, and the romance of the orange groves (now about 100% gone in the LA basin) keeps my modeling spark alive in my attempt to recreate a past that I've always wanted to live in. You espically can understand that Chip, because you're modeling the NWP in 1917 and the Espee in 1885! :) Modelers paint an impressionistic landscape of what they love most about their favorite locales, no matter how detailed it may be. I'm no different. Sure my main influence will be Riverside country, because it was the last valley to still have citrus groves as late as the 1970's, but I'm throwing all that I like and enjoy about the Flavor of Southern California.. Mission Revival style structures, Orange Groves, an Artificial Oasis in a Desert, ect. I really should be modeling 1905-1920 with this sort of Idealism, but I enjoy First Generation diesels too much to do that to myself.

So there's my explination, make sense?
-Miles

Very nice explanation, and welcome to the more relaxed side of the internet world!

As for the cars, I'm only looking for the fresh cherries, but I'm going way out on Monday to check some other wal*marts.

Miles,

I figured it was something like that. I also figured that anyone who modeled a place like that would be able to take some ribbing.

You know, laid back Caifornian. Probably hung out at the San Dimas Water Park with Keanu Reeves. It's okay. Really.

Miles,

I figured it was something like that. I also figured that anyone who modeled a place like that would be able to take some ribbing.

You know, laid back Caifornian. Probably hung out at the San Dimas Water Park with Keanu Reeves. It's okay. Really.

:D Lol, I moved away from there before I had a chance to do that! We're not all laid back, and I often wonder why those people aren't. :cool: I;m a modeler, lying back, MR in hand on a warm, sunny day is my Idea of fun! (And working on my layout of course!)

Thanks to Gary, Steve, Josh, Getty, and of course, Chip, the Rib-Miester(TM)

For those who don't know what California looked like 40 years ago, take a look at this closely:

-Orange Groves
-Flat-Roofed Buildings
-Swimming Pools
-ATSF mail line (complete with train)
-Rows of Palm Trees
-Faded almost grey asphalt roads
-Old Victorian-Era Farmhouses
-Mission Style Downtown buildings

HighgrovefromaboveSm.jpg

I have admired that plan for a long time. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. I also like the way you have added a continuous running connection.

Back