my progress on my new layout

emt49

internets worst speller
this is the new HO layout i am bulding its 11' x 11' with a 5 foot hole in the center clean track and buld scearney the tables are 3' wide .

the aera right of the bridge (were the drill is now )will be my yard with a bigger staging yard (out of pic and not yet bult) .the staging yard will be entered after going under the bridge and leaving the main layout.the train will be able to curve around the yard to enter the layout (making it a run around ) . the staging yard will have three or four holding tracks per side labeld north bound and south bound.

the grade is 2% it will probley surve as a scenic divider for my town and more track and indurstry .

Last edited by a moderator:
i have two track plans i am trying to pick wich one i like the most then i will try to scan it in and post it thay are hand drawn on paper.

the risers are just pined in place so i can ge a idea of how much room they will take up

ok guys and chris uk here are the two track planes i am going to chouse from a friend of mine drew them up for me.

pic #1 of the layout has no scenic dividers and one long grade up and down

pic two has a scenic divider on the tables were there is no yard

the yard on both layouts are a small classafacatian yard and a intermodel yard
some other indurstres are a cole or gravel mine a lumber yard and a paleitt maker or a cabnet maker or both of them and maybe something else if i got the room left after the town go's in

Hi. Looking good, I prefer #2 as it seems to have a larger yard and I am into switching.
With regards to the industry a coal mine or gravel extraction area take up vast tracks of land and therefore become difficult to model properly. Perhaps think about smaller industries such as a grain store or how about a steel stockists. This will allow wagons in such as grain wagons, Hoppers etc and/or flat wagons for steel and open gondolas to carry coils etc.

With regard to the cabinet maker, how about a Timber Sectional Building Manufacturer, this will give lumber in along with associated products such as made up window frames and doors etc. Traffic out would be unusual in that it would be sections of timber buildings in open wagons or box vans.

For the other industry, hoow about something to support the town on a smaller scale such as a brewery or a soda company. Traffic in such as hops, wheat, barley, sugar, a high use of water, coal or oil for heating the boilers. Wood for the barrels and crates, glass bottles for filling and cans for filling or sheet metal for making the cans. How about a cannery?

The list goes on and as you will tell, I am into oddball freight and seeing things that are unusual.

Hope this helps...Chris :) :rolleyes:

How do you like that sub-roadbed system? I've seen it advertized and think it would be pretty handy for making transitions between grades etc.

On the other hand, much of my model railroad building is definitely "old school" having learned much of it 30 years ago. Wood subroadbed is the traditional method and if done right it's quite sturdy. How does this stuff compare?

Hi emt49, well I like #1, to me it's not so cluttered with track and has more room for scenery. Most important reason is where you will be doing the operating from. With senery dividers on #2 if you are on the inside, then visibility and access to the opposite side is limited. If you are on the outside area then the same limitations apply to access to the inside areas blocked by the scenic dividers, not to mention the crawling back and forth under the layout for access to hidden areas. This would not be necessary for diagram #1 Just my opinion, and not necessarily correct :D
Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan said:
Hi emt49, well I like #1, to me it's not so cluttered with track and has more room for scenery. Most important reason is where you will be doing the operating from. With senery dividers on #2 if you are on the inside, then visibility and access to the opposite side is limited. If you are on the outside area then the same limitations apply to access to the inside areas blocked by the scenic dividers, not to mention the crawling back and forth under the layout for access to hidden areas. This would not be necessary for diagram #1 Just my opinion, and not necessarily correct :D
Cheers Willis

yes cbcnsfan i think #1 will be my track plan but i made some little changes to the plan wich i think will make it work alittle better when i get home from work in the morning i will post a pic of it . :D

modelbob said:
How do you like that sub-roadbed system? I've seen it advertized and think it would be pretty handy for making transitions between grades etc.

On the other hand, much of my model railroad building is definitely "old school" having learned much of it 30 years ago. Wood subroadbed is the traditional method and if done right it's quite sturdy. How does this stuff compare?

i have never used wood for my sub road bed but i can tell ya i do like the foam its verry easy to use fast to set up. as fair as sturdy i have no problems with it but if you like to rebilled alot this my not be for you because once you glue it its verry hard to get it up with out braking it.

this is the track plan i am going with its track plan #1 with some changes what do you guys think

Chris UK said:
Excellent, should give a lot of operational interest leaving plenty of room for scenics.

yup thats what i am hopeing for and i think the two rasied industrys will add a good look to the layout. and if you look at the track plan the hill on the top left will have the track to the staging yard going under it . wich is in a diffrent room of the basement it can only mean one thing i got room to grow ;)

Hi emt49 wow! I kind of hate to throw any cold water on your plans while youre boiler is cooking away full steam, But I noticed your plans are hand drawn and may not be to scale. ( I could be wrong :eek: ) I'm some what concerned about the turnout ladders, because even a #4 turnout is 9 inches long. Your drawing shows 4 turnouts at each end of the yard. Guessing that your min radius will be at least 18" and each outer one should be at least two inches more than the previous one. To add to your woes :D if you plan to run long wheelbase cars ( like passenger) there should be more than 2 1/2 inches clearance on the curves at least. ( you would have to test your longest cars here to be sure. Usually the outer parallel track to an 18"R would be a 22"R. If you have the turnouts you plan to use I suggest you make a sort of temporary assembly to see how much real estate you are going to use up.
I planned my layout with drawings, needles to say there were many changes required before it would work :(
Here are a couple of pics to show what I mean.
Cheers

thanks for you addvice on the turnouts for my yard and i pland on doing a mock set up befor i lay track and glue it

yea i kinda figured i would run into a problem or two with the track plan i going to try to run all #6 turnouts for all my switches i have some 6 axel motive power i want to run

i pland on doing a mock set up befor i lay track and glue it
Are you going to use a roadbed (cork or other)? Or are you laying your track directly on styrofoam?
#6's eh! I like the 6's especially on the main line, however a consideration for using them for a turnout ladder is they are 12" long :D real estate hogs!
A possibility to keep in mind, while planning, is that less trackage could make for less trouble and better operating railroad if the curves are broad ( less derails, and longer trains).
For my modest yard #6's are the norm. so that shortens up the yard storage tracks. Sometimes you have to give to get :eek:
Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan said:
Are you going to use a roadbed (cork or other)? Or are you laying your track directly on styrofoam?
#6's eh! I like the 6's especially on the main line, however a consideration for using them for a turnout ladder is they are 12" long :D real estate hogs!
A possibility to keep in mind, while planning, is that less trackage could make for less trouble and better operating railroad if the curves are broad ( less derails, and longer trains).
For my modest yard #6's are the norm. so that shortens up the yard storage tracks. Sometimes you have to give to get :eek:
Cheers Willis

i dont know if you have seen the pics of the layout at the top of this thread but all the bench work is coverd by 1" blue foam

as for road bed i am using ws foam roadbed but the yard and sideings will not have roadbed

i am trying to keep things at a bigger radius because my 6 axcel ac4400-9 . thay would not run on my old layout that is why i ambulding my new layout to begin with. my last one had turns that they would not run one and i got sick of looking at them and want to run them

i am trying to keep things at a bigger radius because my 6 axcel ac4400-9 .
excellent idea, also when testing the locos, use your longest cars, coupled with them on parallel curves to ensure that there is enough clearance while passing on adjacent tracks.
Cheers Willis

I'll chime in and say that my sketched trackplan for the switching part of the layout needed some heavy revising when the actual switches were laid down. The curves weren't too bad, those can be adjusted/fiddled either with snap track or flextrack (within reason), but the switches were fixed. I found out that I couldn't lay it all out the way I wanted it to, so I had to revise on the fly. As in, during mock-up with the real thing.

The trackwork still isn't spiked down; I'm running trains over what's down there so I can see if I need to make adjustments or not....

Kennedy

Update

Please keep the photos coming of your on-going progress.

I couldn't lay it all out the way I wanted it to, so I had to revise on the fly.
Hi Kenedy, I'd say that's it in a nutshell. Me too! only I was silly enough to glue the roadbed down as I went along, before I came to the NO FIT :D
Cheers Willis

Back