my progress on my new layout

well i got a box of flex track 100 peces of 3' tracks and i will mock the track down befor i lay roadbed and glue track for good .

right now other than the dash 9 the only big cars i have are my grunderson well cars for my contaners.and if you have run them you know thay like to cut curves

makeing some progress

ok guys i have gone thru 6 or 7 diffrend track plans for my HO layout befor i hit on the one i liked . and that one had me doing some more bench work. i took the yard off the layout and made a hidden staging aera with run thru for the main line. i am going to start the yard on the layout so you get a fealing of a classafacation yard on the layout so i had to add another 11' long x 3' wide bench making the layout 14' x 11' :eek:

I also have gotten my woodland scenics risers and roadbed down on most of the layout. [pics will come soon ]

now for a qustion on my main line i am using the woodland scenics roadbed but i have a long passing sideing and a switching spure should i use the same roadbed as the main or maybe n scale or none at all the layout ? :confused:
the layout has a 1" foam top

Hi emt not quite sure of what you are asking here, did you change to "N" scale? If not I wouldn't use N scale road bed. I don't know what everyone else would suggest, but if it was me I would use the same roadbed on the passing siding as on the main, in fact I would keep the track an even height from switch to switch. A lot of illusions can be done with scenery so that it appears to be a different height.
I have no idea of wether I've answered your question or not. Must be too early in the morning :D
Cheers Willis

Hi EMT. I have found that passing sidings that are heavily used, usually stay at the same height. Switching Spurs are normally dropped down to either like an N-scale underlayment or just on top of the plywood. Might want to take some pictures or look at some books to see how they do it.

HI CBCNS no i didnt change to N scale. i just keep hearing that spurs and industral switching dose not have the same thickness of roadbed under them as a main line dose .so i was thinking of using N scale there to give the apprence of a lighter grade of roadbed from the main line.

Thanks GrumpyBob i think ill keep the spur the same as the main roadbed and maybe try n scail roadbed for the industral switching part. :D

Hi emt, what I will be doing (haven't got that far yet) will be cutting strips of styrofoam from the trays that meat is packaged in for display at the stores. With the strips glued alongside the cork roadbed the ballast will lay flat, spread out and be more level with the ballast between the ties. The trackage height is maintained with the appearance of being lower. Just an idea, and I'm using cork roadbed.
Cheers Willis

ok guys here are the pics you have been look for. i didnt post them all because thay didnt all turn out that good. you my have trouble makein out track the roadbed is also black so thay blend. oh yea and i did some work today and i fanley got track down on all my main line so i can run the entire layout it takes 2.5 mins for the train to trave the hole main :D

pick #1 this is looking to the front to of my yard it has 1 main line 2 a/d tracks and 3 classafacation tracks

pick#2 is comming out of the yard starting up the hill to my passing sideing to the right is my not yet done (in this pic it is now done) tail track for the yard

pic #3 is a on the track pic the main and passing sideing and the cross over from the tail track

Last edited by a moderator:
hereare some more

pick #1 is my big s curve and were my tunnel will sit

pick #2 is the track over the tunnel and the end of the passing sideing

pic# 3 is a pic from the front of my yard the yard wraps around the wooden studs at the back of the pic

pic #4 is a shot of my train two D&H U23B comming out of my tail track on to the main the passing sideing is the out side track

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey old 97 thanks for the reply and my layout base is 1" blue foam come to think of it its all mostly foam the 2% grades and the roadbed is also foam.

and agen sorry for the poor pics it was a cheap camra with out a flash :(

Back