My Northern Pacific Butte Montana Layout.

There was a well established hobby shop in Milwaukee called Russ' Hobby Shop on Center Street. One day while waiting fo the shop to open, I talked in length with a fellow who I later found out was it Art Curren and he was a regular customer of Russ' Shop.

Russ never took any charge cards because he believed that no one should buy anything for a hobby on credit. His shop had a selection of brass locomotives and lots of scratch building supplies and craftsman kits. Russ passed away and his son closed the shop.

Greg

Here are photos from Curren's book, the first one shows the backside of the structure and the kit that is the basis for the Kit-Bash

HPIM8040 (Small).JPG

The next photo shows the three other views of the structure
HPIM8041 (1) (Small).JPG

This photo shows how the walls will be cut-up to make the walls of the Kit-Bash
HPIM8042 (1) (Small).JPG

This photo shows how the bases are cut-up and rearranged to make the Kit-Bashed structures base.
HPIM8043 (1) (Small).JPG

This photo shows how the roof pieces are cut-up and reconfigured to make the roofs for the Kit-Bashed Structure.
HPIM8044 (1) (Small).JPG

Finally, the remainder of the roof pieces are cut up, modified and how they are used to make the roofs for the rest of the structure.
HPIM8045 (1) (Small).JPG

I would strongly suggest purchasing Art Curren's book, even if you have no intentions of building this particular structure!

"Strongly Suggest" ?
If I do not .. Shall I expect a couple gents with baseball bats to show up at my doorstep?

I do really like the way it is laid out.

Sherrel, Possibly Strongly Suggesting was a bit out of line on my part. However, I would not attempt to Kit-Bash the Gambol, Waite and Hope Company without some type of plans! In your case, go out and buy the two kits and just start Slicing, Dicing and Splicing back together the mistakes and take some photos of the finished product so we can all see how well you did!

A problem with the cutting plans has been found in that no dimensions are given! I was thinking that I wanted to cut-up and reassemble the bases for the structure first. However, to determine where the cuts should be made, I really needed to have the walls assembled, to determine where to cut them! I built the Wedge Shaped Factory from this book many years ago. I need to review how I built the walls of that building, to see if I can decipher how to cut-up this one. I would think dimensions are very important; but, maybe Mr. Curren didn't think so, as none are given. More study is would seem warranted!

I also see in the latest Model Railroader Magazine (March, 2019) that they show how to make a guide for cutting structure walls on page 35 in the article entitled UP AGAINST THE WALL, starting on page 34.

Art Curren described the Gambol Waite and Hope building as a "Kit Mingle" and not a "Kit Bash". What the difference between the two phrases are, is anyone's guess.

If all else fails, just start hackin' an' stackin'! ;) Chances are, if I tried to do it according to the plans, the product, even if 100% "correct" wouldn't fit my layout space anyway! :rolleyes:

I have most of the walls cut-out and am finishing up the last few. I have photos and will show them eventually. The process that Mr. Curren used to organize the wall cutting, has been a bit confusing. Don't know how he was able to build this building just using his head; but, I am weeding my way through.

If all else fails, just start hackin' an' stackin'! ;) Chances are, if I tried to do it according to the plans, the product, even if 100% "correct" wouldn't fit my layout space anyway! :rolleyes:

Knowing that a structure is going to fit on the layout is Job One, before you start and I highly recommend that you determine this before you purchase the kit(s) you will need previous to the start! Also, to "just start hackin' and stackin'" is a sure way to fail at kit bashing this structure. In other words, measure twice and cut once!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some photos: Completed and reinforced parts.
HPIM8052.JPG

One of the third story splices. Yes, the two kits where molded in completely different colors.
HPIM8050.JPG

Had to hang one parts off the edge, because of molded on details on the underside.
HPIM8051.JPG

Back