My Northern Pacific Butte Montana Layout.

HPIM7307.JPG

Before I go to far, I wanted to show my work bench. I'd like to say that normally it is more organized than this; however, that would be a lie. This is what it normally looks like. That is a Roundhouse MDC Harriman ten wheeler getting a a Digitrax Sound decoder, which has been torn out and will be replaced by a TCS WOW Sound decoder. As you can see, I have also been into Radio Controlled Model Airplanes and model sailing ships, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
HPIM7314.jpg

Here is another view of almost the same spot with the train gone. The train just exited the upper portal all the way to the left. This photo also shows the snow shed I built to the far right. The snow shed covers the track coming from the staging yard. The track in the middle is coming down from Homstead Pass. The photo also shows some of my rockwork.

I am still having problems with photos disappearing! Does anyone else have this problem? Do I need to reduce the size of the photos? This is almost doubling the amount of work it takes to tell my story as I have to go back time and time again to see if a photo has posted. How do I contact a moderator to help me with this problem?

Thanks!

Mark - If you have photos stored on your computer and want to post them, click on the third icon from the right above. It will ask you if you want to get them from a URL or computer. Click on the computer and it will bring uo a browse icon. Click on browse and go to photo stored on your computer. Select the photo you want and it will be put on the post.

You can also start a photo gallery in your profile. Download the same way and save the photo. I have a number of albums in my profile. If you want to post one from your album, again click on the photo icon above and choose URL. You'll have to open another tab for the forum, so go to your gallery and double click on the photo you want to post. It will enlarge the photo. Right click on the photo and pick "copy image location". The go the the forum tab where you want to post the photo and go the the URL box and click "paste". Then click on the little box below and uncheck the box "retrieve remote file and reference locally" Then click "OK" and a fulll size photo will appear on your post.

I like the photos you have posted. Hope this helps because I would love to see more of your layout.

By the way, here is my work bench.

IMAG0847.jpg I haven't had one for months because we completely renovated two room and one was where my workbench is. I best keep it clean or the powers to be could go on a "power whine".

Chet, How you describe downloading photos is exactly how I do it. However, every once in a while, like I described, the photo will be there, when I leave this website and when I come back it will be gone with a note stating; File Attachment (or, some such statement).

That I can't explain. I have never had that happen. Maybe you're not holding your mouth right. doh.gif

Have you tried making yourself an album in your profile and loading photos from there?

I guess I will struggle onward with how the website works for me, post a photo and description, leave the website and return and repost the photo, should it go bye bye.

Try a different browser. I have another car forum that will not work properly with IE11 but works reasonably OK with Firefox.

Try a different browser. I have another car forum that will not work properly with IE11 but works reasonably OK with Firefox.

I haven't used IE in years, I use Chrome. I really don't want to download and use a different browser, just for this one website. Life is a struggle, so why shouldn't it be for posting photos to websites?

I also don't use IE much at all. I have been using FireFox for years. I have a problem with Chrome. For some reason if I am using it, Chrome keeps opening up another Chrome window about every five minutes. Don't know if it is a bug in the computer or something with Chrome. On rare occasions I might use IE on certain web sites, but that is a rare occasion.

HPIM7318.JPG

In this photo the mainline loop we are following is only slightly visible in back of the trees to the left of the photo. The mainline follows along the back side of the hill, in back of the signal tower which guards the grade crossing just in front of it.

I see you figured out the posting of photos. Nice scene. How large is the room you have the layout in?? Keep the photos coming.

HPIM7342.JPG

Here the S-4 is pulling onto the siding behind The the steam switcher. The train is now at what I call Home Stake Pass and beginning it's down grade run towards Logan (the staging yard). We are close to the first lap of teh three laps it takes to complete a circuit of my layout.

I see you figured out the posting of photos. Nice scene. How large is the room you have the layout in?? Keep the photos coming.

The layout does not completely fill the room it is in. The layout itself is 8 feet by 20 feet.

HPIM7306.JPG

Although the train is not visible behind the other train in front of it, it is traveling down grade along side the back drop and will exit this scene and come out on the outside of the two tracked tunnel again on the unfinished portion of the layout.

HPIM7339.JPG

Once again the train appears on the unfinished portion of the layout and runs by Deephole Mine. I realize that running twice; or, three times through a scene is a big NO-NO now-a-days. However, all layouts are compromises and I readily accepted this compromise as it gives length to my mainline. The layout is now 29 years old and when started, the fact that a train might travel multiple times through a scene, was much more accepted.

Nice photos. You're giving a better overview of your layout. I think I may have you on the age of a layout, I am currently passing 30 years on mine, and still have a few areas where the plywood is still visible. Unfortunately, my layout sat more or less dormant for a number of years because we have no hobby shops at all in our area. Internet retailers weren't around yeat and about the only time I could actually see a product in person is when we were on road trips. If I found a hobby shop, my wife's eyes would just roll around.

I really like what I'm seeing on your layout. I don't have any chouce on my main line as the tracks only go through any scene one time. It was built as a point to point, but I can run continuously with the use of some hidden staging tracks. What I'll do is after a local freight trains brings cars to one of the two yards, an outbound train will be made up and sent "off stage" to the hidden staging tracks where it will later become an inbound train.

Enjoyed the photos. Thanks for posting.

The design of my layout is as a point to point with the option of continuing on through the staging yard for continuous running. However, my staging yard tracks are relatively short, actually about half the length of trains I like to see running. However, I do have three sidings that have a length capacity of the size I like. This gets these longer trains out of Butte Yard and is a place to store them. I'm still sorting out how to operate my layout. I read most of what I can about operation. My big problem is I am a Lone Wolf operator. So, operations are pretty limited.

HPIM7344.JPG

Here the train is crossing a fairly tall bridge across a deep river cut. The place under the locomotive, under the bridge will be a waterfall, someday. Both this bridge and the shorter one behind it are made from Atlas Deck Truss Bridge kits. The longer one is a kit bash to get the length I wanted.

Northern Pacific S-4 #713, is a Sound equipped Bachmann product. First I bought the non-sound equipped Bachmann N.P. S-4, then I bought a a P&LE Sound equipped S-4, and swapped bodies and sold the P&LE on Ebay for a bit less than I paid for for my non-sound equipped N.P. S-4. Why Bachmann doesn't offer their locos as both sound equipped and non-sound, doesn't make sense to me, it's just a matter of swopping bodies! I am leery of Bachmann products as I have had some trouble with their steamers. However their diesels seem to be O.K. I also have an RS-3 that I repainted to look like a Northern Pacific RS-3.

Back