My newest scene - Abandoned steamer

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
Abandoned Steamer - My new scene

You're about to see the transformation of an old Bachmann steamer into a classic scene of an abandoned rusted relic outside the engine house.

Start with one dilapidated steamer, add some rust,
dloco1.jpg

dloco2.jpg

Add more rust to suit taste.
dloco5.jpg

Bury track so only top half of rails show.
dloco4.jpg

Add some junk to the scene.
dloco7.jpg

Now for some grass and weeds. Notice that two of the domes and some other pieces have been removed.
dloco8.jpg

dloco8.jpg

Now throw in some bushes and some diffirent colors of grass.
dloco12.jpg

dloco11.jpg

dloco10.jpg

Not bad for half a days work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it looked pretty good by itself, then I saw the photo with the bushes added. Very nice!

sniff sniff....:( that was a UP loco ....waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!:(

nice work though....sniff sniff.......

It's not finished yet. There's still a lot of little details to be added. There will also be a couple of guys checking her out with hopes of something more than a cosmetic restoration in mind. They have an uphill battle ahead of them, up Mt. Everest!

Nice work! I photographed an abandoned steamer about that size, parked in the C&O's Huntington WV shop facility when I was a teen. Danged if I know where I put it though (probably wasn't very a high quality pic anyway)...

Actually I put that there to remind me that I hadn't eaten yet. Sometimes I get so absorbed in layout work that I forget to eat. Being that I'm a diabetic, that's not good.

Actually I put that there to remind me that I hadn't eaten yet. Sometimes I get so absorbed in layout work that I forget to eat. Being that I'm a diabetic, that's not good.

My aunt and a friend of my father's are both the same way. Neither of them knew they were diabetic until they wound up in the hospital.

Sometimes a distraction from our problems is good, but definitely not in this case.

I got a suggestion on another forum to clear out some of the brush so the rusty parts at the front are more visible. So some of the brush has been cleared out. It should look better now.

dloco13.jpg

dloco14.jpg

dloco15.jpg

dloco16.jpg

dloco17.jpg

Looks good! Do you have anything that you could use to simulate ivy or vines growing up the sides? That would make it look like it's been there for a long time without covering up as much of the rust as the bushes did.

Looks really good. The vines are pretty heavy.
suggestion - place some old ties in front of the engine as if the line was taken up and a few ties were left behind. It could of been an old spur off the main facility track where the switch and rails have been removed. Also, throw in a tree or large bush next to it to really settle it down into the scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm already working on a stack of ties. I don't think the large bush would be in order. The ones there now are pretty big, though a small tree growing out of the cab might look pretty good.

Back