My newest B-Unit

BN8002

Did someone say B-unit?
This is my newest B-unit. BN 7600 SD40B. Was later sold to the SOO who had it on their roster atleast until 2009. Started as an athearn RTR SD40. Added styrene and cannon doors to the short hood and moved the dynamics to the short hood. I modified a non dynamic cover for a blue box athearn SD40-2 to fill the space where the dynamics used to be. Added mu cables, cut levers, lift rings and grab irons. I also used blue box stanchions and bent my own handrails. Topped it off with floquil paint and microscale decals. This brings my b-unit roster to 5 with another in the works.

image.png

image_1.png

image_2.png
image_3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking unit. I like B-units myself. I have 2 ATSF GP60B's from Athearn. I haven't tried to modify any other units yet, although Santa Fe had a few others as well, SD45B's come to mind. They had 23 GP60B's total.
Willie

Looks pretty good! (Bob's too!)
I did a GP9 a few years back and have another in the works.

I'm assuming you mean the vents where the cab used to be..yes..they moved the dynamics up front because they would stay cooler up there because it got them away from the prime mover.

Looks great! I remember seeing some B units in the Galesburg yard, looks like you nailed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back