My new train building

GatorDave

Railroading Fan~Gator Fan
What's up guys(and gals) I logged in and received a message that I hadn't posted in several weeks... so here's a couple of shots of the new train room
that I have been building. It's 12'x20'. The track plan is still in the planning
stage, but it will be a double decker with a nolix running twice around the
perimeter of the building to the upper level.

The upper level will be a dual purpose level. It will serve as a staging area, but
will also be sceniced and have lots of operational possibilities. The lower level
will provide operation with continuous running. Enjoy. Dave

HPIM0514.jpg

IM000473.jpg

I hope you put some insulation up in that ceiling, or you're going to lose a lot of heat/cooling through the ends of the attic.

I'm learning the hard way that there is no such thing as too much insulation...

JeffShultz said:
I hope you put some insulation up in that ceiling, or you're going to lose a lot of heat/cooling through the ends of the attic.

I'm learning the hard way that there is no such thing as too much insulation...

Jeff,
Oh yeah, the entire building is insulated. I just didn't take a another picture before I sheeted the walls and ceiling. I live in Florida... insulaion is a must...
so is A/C. Dave

Looks good.

I'm making a train room too, (out of my basement) but I have to deal with so much stuff that it is difficult. Everything I do is preceeded by moving stuff from one area in the basement to another. This weekend, I hope to tear out a wall and release a ton of space. And I don't have track plan yet either.

Lookin good, Dave! Be sure to post a trackplan when you get it done. I'm very interested in what your new RR will be like. I'm betting it'll be pretty awesome!

Hi Dave! Nice to see your fingers working the keyboard:D . Your building is going to be ideal for you. I can't wait until you get going on your layout. You have always done such good work in the past.;) Drop me a line when you get a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip,
Just be sure that the wall you are tearing out isn't load bearing!! You will
only make that mistake once. :eek:

GrandeMan,
I have a pretty good draft that I have been working on. With a little advice
from Rex and the "train guy" from my LHS, I think I have worked out most of
the kinks. I could email it to you and milk some opinions and advice from you
as well...:) the more the better.

Hiya Rex!
I have been really busy with work... gotta make that vacation money!! It is
taking everything I've got to keep from making a trip to Lowes and buying the
materials for my benchwork... not to mention the track and roadbed! I have
been using the "down time" to find some good deals on flextrack and roadbed.
I also will need about a gazillion turnouts. But, we are just as excited about
this years vacation in the mountains... and like I told you before, Nancy would
be not so happy if I blew the trip $$ on my layout. As much as she supports
my hobby, I think I had better wait 'til we get back! I would REALLY like to
make time to stop by your place on the way home... I just don't know right
now if I can pull it off. We'll see as the time get's closer. We already will be
a few days shorter this year because of Nancy's schedule.

Johnny and Chris,
Thanks! I'll post the track plan once I get it finalized

Good luck. Dave

GatorDave said:
Chip,
Just be sure that the wall you are tearing out isn't load bearing!! You will
only make that mistake once. :eek:
Atleast you'd hope someone would be smart enough to never make that mistake again in the future!

Anyways, looking good, can't wait to see the trains running there!

GatorDave, lookin' real good. I understand that the roof has proper truss supports and everything! (Just came across the street from the other forum, where some are making a big fuss about people talking to you in the photo thread........) I know you will keep us posted with more photos as your work progresses. I too have a new space to fill with more trains, and know how excited you must be to have a great new building for them!

Ray, thanks for the tip. I went across the street and read the comments. Jeeze! That crap never stops.
I am now down to only an occasional post over there (if I find an interesting topic), but I believe every a** h*** in MR lurks at that forum and that kills my interest in a hurry.

Looking good Dave, I figured you already had that 'support' issue under control when Jeffers MZ tried to warn you about it across the street, since you're in the construction business. Your pics take me back to 15 monhs ago, when I was doing my own infrastructure prep.

RexHea said:
Ray, thanks for the tip. I went across the street and read the comments. Jeeze! That crap never stops.
I am now down to only an occasional post over there (if I find an interesting topic), but I believe every a** h*** in MR lurks at that forum and that kills my interest in a hurry.

I hear ya! I check it out from time to time and still post on occasion, but the weather does seem to be much nicer over here. ;)

Hey! Could you guys tried to stay ON TOPIC!!! Jeeze
:D
Just kidding... Thanks for the comments. BTW I have built many buildings
just like this one and they are all still around... after Hurricane Ivan!! I
actually had one, that was built in the same fashion, that housed a previous
layout... it was just too small. It also sat right next to my house through that
vicious storm. I tell ya, I'm not looking forward to hurricane season. Good luck.
Dave

Dave, you can always attach pontoons on it for hurricane season, ha! Oops! I need to get on topic. Sorry.

Back