My New N Scale Project

I like the code 55, it looks great weathered!
I like roadbed just to raise the track up from the ground and define it but in some cases, as can be see in your link, it appears to be at ground level so mounting it to the base would work!
I also like to model ditches along the line, something seldom seen on a model, but again the photos show otherwise.
Love the mods you’ve made so far!

I like the code 55, it looks great weathered!
I like roadbed just to raise the track up from the ground and define it but in some cases, as can be see in your link, it appears to be at ground level so mounting it to the base would work!
I also like to model ditches along the line, something seldom seen on a model, but again the photos show otherwise.
Love the mods you’ve made so far!
I might use some thin 1/16” cork sheeting I have and make my own roadbed to define the track a little bit but not so much it looks like the main line.

And thank you!

So…I have been thinking about the construction materials for this layout and I’ve opted to do the same thing I did on my micro layout. With that layout, I didn’t use any plywood or solid base for the layout but rather foam insulation board resting on a couple 1 x 4 cross sections surrounded by a 1 x 4 frame. This technique worked well to create a solid and lightweight layout!

I can thank Steve from Steve’s Trains for that idea:)

One thing I’ve never put much effort into for any layout is a background and lighting. I plan to incorporate these ideas into the build as well.

So…I have been thinking about the construction materials for this layout and I’ve opted to do the same thing I did on my micro layout. With that layout, I didn’t use any plywood or solid base for the layout but rather foam insulation board resting on a couple 1 x 4 cross sections surrounded by a 1 x 4 frame. This technique worked well to create a solid and lightweight layout!

I can thank Steve from Steve’s Trains for that idea:)

One thing I’ve never put much effort into for any layout is a background and lighting. I plan to incorporate these ideas into the build as well.
A backdrop greatly improves a layouts looks. You will be surprised how much it adds.

Thanks to Rico, i’ve opted to go with a shadow box style layout for this switching layout.

My plan is to build the framework for the layout and then use some leftover hardboard from my micro layout project to create the backdrop and sides of the shadow box itself. I am still trying to come up with the best way to secure the hardboard to the 1 x 4 frame. I’m most likely going to either use some smaller sections of leftover 1 x 4 or some metal brackets.

It will be a few weeks before I begin to build this layout as I’m going on vacation so there is plenty of time for working on the design:)

I have heard of shadow box techniques in cgi 3D modelling and in photography.
Can someone explain what it means in model railroading. (Sorry had a 30 year pause lol)
At a guess it's where lighting projects at the center detail creating a realistic daylight shadow in contrast to an "ambient light" supplied from a back-lit backdrop/scene?

I have heard of shadow box techniques in cgi 3D modelling and in photography.
Can someone explain what it means in model railroading. (Sorry had a 30 year pause lol)
At a guess it's where lighting projects at the center detail creating a realistic daylight shadow in contrast to an "ambient light" supplied from a back-lit backdrop/scene?
I suppose the best and simplest description would be a lighted diorama with working trains:)

Okay…so some of you may have seen my thread listing my N scale Ebay items. I decided to sell my entire N scale collection including the micro-layout I built, all of which is gone as of today. I spent the last month listing everything and I will use some of the money for future projects.

I wanted to take a break from N scale and try something new, hence my recent posts on an O gauge train set. I will probably tackle this N scale project sometime in the future when the N scale bug bites me again but for now keep an eye out for posts on some O gauge projects:)

If you are going DCC, then you will only need 1 or 2 feeders. Insulate the point (inside) rails on all of the switches, the power will route correctly. When I wired up my layout, I was thinking DC because I had been doing it this way for decades. Once I started tracing the current flows, I found that the power wiring became much simpler. In your case, you have no reversing loop, so it will work like a charm.

Back