My New N Scale Project

GuilfordRailman

With the "completion" of my micro-layout and an attempt (if you want to call it that) of an HO scale project, I decided to continue with N scale as I'm already well-equipped to do so! That being said...I have an idea for a shelf switching layout I'd like to share with you. This is modeled off of the actual prototype. I have never modeled an actual prototype railroad (other than the obvious rolling stock and locomotives) before so I thought it would be interesting.

The idea is to model the Canterbury NH yard of the New England Southern Railroad (Now Vermont Railways). Operations for this railroad were very basic for many years and included a transload facility at the yard and delivery of slurry tankers to 3M manufacturing in Tilton NH.

Here is a basic track plan and 3D rendering of the possible 1' x 6' shelf layout I would build:

1 x 6 NES shelf layout.jpg

1 x 6 NES shelf 3D.png

I will definitely tweak the track plan a little and most likely reconfigure some things, but this is the basic idea:)

I like the idea of modeling this because of the simplicity of the track plan and operations but also that it will allow me to run operations with any rolling stock I choose.

Here is a link to the website for New England Southern Railroad:

Looks like a neat track plan, odd to have ramps on both sides of the line but I think that’s what makes it unique.
Who’s gonna argue that it ain’t prototypical?!
I'm thinking of doing up something similar also in N scale, maybe this will light a fire under my butt… 😉
When I discovered this yard on google maps, I was thinking the same thing that it was unique having ramps on both sides.

Should provide some interesting operations for sure!

I’m glad I could potentially inspire you haha

I can't see how the operations would be fun on this layout. I hope you post some videos of it in action so I have a better understanding.
Well…lucky for you I’m building it for myself and not you:)

It’ll be a while until it’s completed but I will certainly post some videos when that time comes!

The operation is meant to be simple. I’ll probably use JMRI to select random cars and the order for unloading at either platform A or B. I like switching (maybe more than running trains) so being able to switch a variety of freight cars via a transload facility is fun for me.

I didn't mean that I didn't think it would be fun, I just don't understand it yet. I've never done any switching operations but I'm just beginning to understand them through a switching puzzle app.
Oh! What app are you using? That actually gives me an idea…I could potentially run a simulation on SCARM with a train and upload a video online. I just have no idea how to do that yet haha.

If I do figure it out, I’ll upload a video for you.

Essentially the idea with this layout is a train enters the layout, sets the in-bound cars on the runaround, and sorts accordingly with the end goal of exiting the layout with out-bounds. Not sure if that makes sense?

I've gone ahead and modified the track plan slightly. I shortened the length of the transload spurs, as well as the run around track. This allowed for about two additional inches or so for each lead into the yard. For the prototype, each transload track is 450' per the New England Southern Railway website. With my limited space, I will be modeling approximately 300' of track for those spurs. The run around track on the layout is also shorter than the prototype.

Here's a basic schematic of the feeder wire locations for the track plan:

I have been thinking about what type of track to use and while I do like Kato Unitrack, I think I will go ahead and use Atlas Code 55 track. I feel as though it will look better for modeling a yard. I was considering not using roadbed and adhering the track directly to the layout base, but I still need to think on that some more.

Back