My New N-scale Plan

And you have this table in a room big enough that you have ample walk around access aisles all around this table (left, right, top and bottom)?

Stein

One suggestion and one question...........For your cross-overs you need to put in a little more separation between the outer/middle and middle/inner crossings. The Left-right-left that your trains would negotiate if going from the outer to inner loops will cause you lots of grief, especially with long cars and engines. Put at least a few sections of track between the cross-overs to make things work better.
My question is about the 5 loops of track on the lower right side.......I don't really understand the purpose?
Overall a nice starting point though.....

When you stand in your control area you have an "S" turn coming off you upper right switch.
I am guessing the 5 loop tracks on bottom right is like a double ended yard..If you only plan on running trains are you planning parking full ready trains?
Might want to add a couple factory sidings for some cool operations.
If you plan like me, its my starter idea and once i am done it don't look like my picture..LOL!

Just out of curiousity, what cad progrm did you use for the track plan? What is your minimum radius? You have a good start, but also room for some serious improvement. :cool: :D

sp2562ani.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe1.gif

Here is a plan that I did with almost the same dimensions. (Old Layout);) Wiidth is 11' but there is room to cut a foot out of the middle. The right side is 7', the left is 5'. Table width was 30" all sides. This plan was done with XTrackCAD (also free ;))...atlas code 80 sectional track, and #4 turnouts.

CactusValleyRR.jpg

It had plenty of operational capabilities, was built in back bedroom of the trailer I was living in at the time, and I was able to run approx 300 cars on a waybill system on the layout. Yes...it could use some improvements..LOL! But it will probably be the basic design for the new one that will be built in our basement, as I now have double the space. :D

I would seriously try and make your minimum radius at 11". Another thing you might try is adding transition curves to all the main curves in your design. Feel free to disect my design anyway that it suits you, but most of all....just have fun with what your doing. :D

sp2562ani.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe1.gif

What radius are the two lines in the top right and the one in the bottom left of your design?

The tightest curve is the inside track on the upper right curve. It is 9 3/4" radius. All others are either 11"r or 19"r. The curved section in an Atlas #4 switch is equal to a 15deg 19"r curve track. I used those a lot.

When you loop a track back into it self going the opposite direction,
How is it wired for power and how does a non-DCC train work on it?

The best and easiest way for you to do a reverse loop would be to purchase an Atlas Controller. It gives a very simple wiring schematic for installation, and can be used in conjunction with Atlas Selectors for block controll on a DC System. Also, can be used for hooking multiple pwr packs to your system for multi train operation. Check your local hobby dealer. These items make wiring very simple to do if you are not totally familiar with it. :D Remember; just take one step at a time.

sp2562ani.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe1.gif

Keep in mind also that the tighter your radius, the more motive power you rule out. You'll never be able to use the later steam or modern diesel on it, only the early diesel and a select middle class of diesel. Making your radius at least 11 will open that up more, plus allow for some possibility of passenger operations.

Back