My new crisis with my layout.

KB02

I spent last weekend in Springfield, MA at the Amherst Model Railway Society's train show. Huge show, lots of people, lots of layouts... it was great. And shockingly enough, I think I spent less than $50!! (what's wrong with me?) MY WIFE actually made the first purchase of the weekend! She saw a Athearn Christmas boxcar with her year of birth. Then she looked at the car right next to it which was an Athearn Christmas boxcar with my year of birth! She couldn't resist the set. :)

Anyway, one of the main reasons I wanted to go to the show was to get inspiration for my layout. I've hit a bit of a slump lately and am not quite sure I am happy with what I have. After seeing all the amazing layouts (and even those that were still under construction), my brain keeps telling me it's time to tear down what I have and start over. That would mean a ton of work and additional investment, a complete redesign, rearrangement of the space, begging, borrowing, bartering... relocating the pool table...

And the worst part is: My wife has given her blessing! (GOD, I love her!!!)

The big question is: Is a teardown and rebuild REALLY something I want to do?

If I did it, I was thinking of building a FreeMo style modular layout. That way I could work on one module at a time instead of huge sections. I could redesign with larger radius curves to run bigger/stronger/cooler looking locos. BUT, it may be a while before I could even run any trains. My 5 year old (he turns 6 next month) would be seriously disappointed.

I don't know... What would you do?

Speaking from experience (numerous experiences at that) - tearing up an existing layout and starting over again can be a nightmare and something I always procrastinated over; however, once I started pulling things up and finally got everything cleared for the "new layout", it felt good and rekindled my enthusiasm. It gave me the chance to make changes and to improve on some things and so forth.

In a nutshell then - yep, I'd send in the wrecking balls and go from scratch again. Perhaps involve your son in the build so he doesn't feel so disappointed ;)

KBO2

I recently went through this. Do I or don’t I rip it apart and start over? Nope, let’s remodel it…

I took the chicken way out. 4 months later I am back to, let’s start over.

IMO once the do over is set in the mind, listen to it.

Caveat for you though is your 5/6 year old. That does change things. Maybe getting him involved will help but based on my experiences with young grandkids they lose interest fast. Since you have the spousal blessing, go for it. You may lose the son for awhile but at that age you probably would have lost him anyway. He’ll be back

You got past the hardest part already,,,,,,,,,, the wife!!! Rip it all out and start over using everything you learned on the last one

You have that right, and couldn't agree more. Just an added note - you'll find it easier to start with a fresh area and not get distracted by things than trying to renovate the existing. IF yu do decide to "renovate", I'll almost guarantee you'll be back here telling us how you ripped it all up in no time at all :)

Hi Tony!!! :)
Haven't seen you on here in a dogs age! Granted, I haven't been the most vocal member myself lately, but still, it good to see you. :)

Actually, I think I have the little one's help already. One of his favorite things to do is knock over any tree he can reach and drop them on the tracks in front of the trains. :eek: (Windy in my basement... apparently). That and dig up the rocks and dirt under my big bridge and drop that, sometimes, on the tracks in front of the trains. We're working on understanding that Daddy is unpleased when he does this. But, hey, it keeps him off YouTube. 🤣 My hopper cars are usually filled with whatever he can reach.

Sounds like I need to start doing some planning... That's the first lesson I learned with Layout #1.

For me, once I have decided that what I have is toast, or what I want is not going to be built unless I clear a path for it, it's just a matter of setting aside an hour or two to start the wrecking. After backing out some screws and giving a couple of hard tugs, severing some feeders, the rest is just horsing the biggest chunks out to the bins. Later that evening, with everyone in bed, I can stand in the cleared space and imagine how I'm going to build the new empire. It's magical.

I recently went thru the same thing myself!
I originally was going to just revamp certain section and keep others.
After sitting for awhile with a pencil in one hand and a glass of port in the other I eventually exchanged one for a hammer. (guess which one)
You’ve been given some pretty good advice already so I’ll just add try sitting for awhile and think of what you like and what you don’t then incorporate that into the next plan.
We'll be watching!

One more thought… I’ve learned as many have to design the buildings to fit the layout, not the layout to fit the buildings. This meant clearing out some large or odd shaped ones and building new ones, much like real life.

relocating the pool table..
You don't use the pool table for trains? And you call yourself a model railroader! ee gads.

If I did it, I was thinking of building a FreeMo style modular layout. That way I could work on one module at a time instead of huge sections. I could redesign with larger radius curves to run bigger/stronger/cooler looking locos. BUT, it may be a while before I could even run any trains. My 5 year old (he turns 6 next month) would be seriously disappointed.
I made my my children their own layouts.

Don't ask me because I haven't "done". My big final real layout hasn't even gotten off the ground.

Well, I think I've got buy-in from the little one. I was sitting at the computer yesterday morning just doodling in SCARM and he climbs into my lap and said, "Daddy, can we get started?"
"Get started with what?"
"Tearing down the trains so we can start over?" 🤣
---------------------

Iron Horseman: I reserve the pool table to set up and run the eldest boy's Bachmann EZ Track DC set. :)

I spent last weekend in Springfield, MA at the Amherst Model Railway Society's train show. Huge show, lots of people, lots of layouts... it was great. And shockingly enough, I think I spent less than $50!! (what's wrong with me?) MY WIFE actually made the first purchase of the weekend! She saw a Athearn Christmas boxcar with her year of birth. Then she looked at the car right next to it which was an Athearn Christmas boxcar with my year of birth! She couldn't resist the set. :)

Anyway, one of the main reasons I wanted to go to the show was to get inspiration for my layout. I've hit a bit of a slump lately and am not quite sure I am happy with what I have. After seeing all the amazing layouts (and even those that were still under construction), my brain keeps telling me it's time to tear down what I have and start over. That would mean a ton of work and additional investment, a complete redesign, rearrangement of the space, begging, borrowing, bartering... relocating the pool table...

The first thing I would do is decide what it is that you find unsatisfying about your current layout. Then decide what needs to happen. In my case I finally realized my yard was the problem. The stub tracks were too short, there were too many and therefore it took forever to switch cars around. The yard was designed to fit the available space in my last home. I now have more room, so I removed the old yard and added a 12 foot long yard that I hope will be satisfying. I am a lone wolf operator, so the 12 feet with stub tracks, crossovers and longer trains will make it fun and not a tedious chore. I feel it is important to understand what isn't working, in order to determine what will. Glenn

I think I read everything... and since I am on my 4th layout I would say everyone has a different preference. I first identified the buildings and industries that I want and then designed the layout. No surprises as to "this isn't going to fit or tear that out so this will work".

This may result in a total tear down or not. Depends on your style of laying track as well. If it all goes pretty much on a big flat space then maybe easier to tear off track and use a new configuration. However, if you have a lot of hills and relief in your terrain and grades in the track, the teardown may mean something quite different.

Dave LASM

I would say everyone has a different preference.
Absolutely ... as I think you alluded to, if what you already is "flat" then using it (or part of it) in a new design will be "easier" than if you have a lot of hills, gradients, rivers and so forth. If you have the latter - it would be easier to tear it all out and start over.

At the end of the day though - it really does come down to what you think and want and, more importantly I think, what your comfortable doing.

Back