My new (and maybe improved) layout

Boy does that look good-just like an MILW car should!

I would feel really guilty if I did that to one of my cars! But amazing work!

Thanks guys! Wombat, you should see some of the first cars I had weathered, were they terrible! You really have to be in the mood so to speak to weather a car. And be patient! Some of my cars I had just globbed the weathering on and anyone can tell they had be rushed through. It's all a learning experience.

A2TwrOpr,

I suppose it really is like anything else you do for the first time. When I first try something I tend to rush it as well, just to see how it turns and from being overly keen to get it (what ever it is) finished.

The really great thing about this forum is the wealth of experience and knowledge that you guys have and are willing to pass on. That makes it much easier for us novices, and is much appreciated I assure you.

Best to look at photographs of real cars with the amount of weathering you want and try to copy them. Work slowly and check frequently. A photo of the model gives a better perspective than just eyeballing it. ;)

Alan
www.andersley.co.uk

Great progress so far Tony. Are you going to use the Walthers Rail to Raod Aggregate Transfer on your layout?

Peir, I've got the Walthers inland cement company on the layout now. So far I like it and have added another building for an office. There will be a gravel area for rock to be unloaded from hoppers. I actually just started weathering two of them this morning and will hopefully finish them this weekend.
Alan, you hit the nail on the head. I google pics of what ever car I'll be working on and use that for a reference. None of my cars are an exact prototype of any given photo. But a photo certainly helps!

Here's the MoPac covered hopper that I just completed. It was originally weathered an earth color with an air brush. So that was my base layer which actually helped quiet a bit.
ec481a67131e17cab78852ca20f5a379.jpg

9f02515906844c4d066fd4771d064861.jpg

422bcaa73ba8b696eb1006ff1cea041b.jpg

And this is a few shots I stole from the web for getting the weathering a somewhat prototypical way
3fad0821e948665560c0c6765a89221a.jpg

4c4fdb459ce77c7c736362d2c0f05315.jpg
You'll notice the CNW car has cuts across the car body so I used that in my car and the roof shot of the real MoPac car for mine. I didn't want a super beater look so I scaled back the weathering a little.

Stephen,

Sorry, but this is not my thread ... it is A2TwrOpr thread, so I really have no idea! :)

PS: Thanks for the unintended compliment though.

That my friend looks very cool....wish i knew how to post pics...caveman here..LOL
You can use a photobucket account and copy the image URL. Or what I do is use a forum app on my phone which allows me post the pics directly onto the forum. Thanks for the compliment!
You're welcome Tony and sorry for derailing your thread A2TwrOpr.
It's no problem, doesn't bother me any.

I honestly have no clue what photo bucket is? I can send pics from my phone 2 email...not sure how 2 get them from there 2 here? remember when people talked on phones? Most here are to young to remember that?

Photobucket is a free on line site where you upload your photo's to. You then get the ability to pick the format for copying and pasting into the forums. Here is a link to the site:

http://s994.photobucket.com

This makes it very easy to show your pictures in the forums.

So the process goes something like this:

take your photo
save it on your computer
make whatever adjustments you want to make ie change the size - I use 800 X 600
open your photobucket account
click on UPLOAD PHOTO
drag and drop the photo in the BOX

Once the picture/s are uploaded you can then select the format for copying and pasting in the forums. That format will be the "IMG" format.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly have no clue what photo bucket is? I can send pics from my phone 2 email...not sure how 2 get them from there 2 here? remember when people talked on phones? Most here are to young to remember that?

It's funny that you say remember when people talked on phones. I hardly ever use my phone to make a call. It's more like my mini computer that goes everywhere with me lol.

That my friend looks very cool....wish i knew how to post pics...caveman here..LOL

I can credit MRF and my nephew for introducing me to downloading photos!! I was a caveman before I started this website and now I doo all sorts of stuff.

You don't have to do photobucket but can use a cheap digital camera and plug it into your computer and get the photo's here that way.

I guess it took me a while to get the swing of it but just ask and anyone on here can help you. You will have to have a camera with the cord that plugs into your computer.

You can do it with a phone too but I don't know how.

A2twopt-- hope I don't disrupt the thread, please ignore me if so------

I've been working on making roads out of styrene this last week or so. Progress has been very slow but I am running trains here and there as time permits. Here's a photo of the road striping I did this morning
371f783e4ece657caa5bf048a1239991.jpg

I also got a little scenery done as well around my business up to about where the Mars Candy complex will be. There will be a building in the upper left corner that will be a background building and one next to the grain silo. I still have to buy those. For some reason this area doesn't photograph well :(
d05fa60cd4f8ee73e69d7050d130cc8b.jpg
This week I'm hoping to get more striping done and a little more scenery.

For the most part it's .60 inch thick. I had some .40 laying around so I used that for other areas where I hadn't done any streets. The .60 stuff is great for road crossings because it's the same height as the rail head. But it gets expensive which is why I have really slowed down work on the layout.

Back