my mess

Lab Rat

19 and crazy
i have been playing with trains since i was 5. i am currently 19. i have attached two images of a building i just "rebuilt". i bought it used in a rubermaid tub of lots of goodies. i carefully dismantled the building and painted the interior modeling and then installed LED lighting inside i can turn the lights on in either side of the building independently i know its really rough but i am stopping with this building at this point until i get more experience under my belt at fine detail. it has a lot of glue marks everywhere from the previous owner. tell me what you think

i know i need a better camera

i am getting another collection of trains tomorrow i get my trains from people by the rubbermaid tub. so i will have alot of building to work with but i am really excited about getting a big boy i had to have the biggest badest locomotive ever

That's a nice Tyco structure. I have one, unbuilt, myself. Not sure what I'll use it for, but its neat.

what kind of Led did you use for interior lights? Most of the Leds I use are for train headlights and direct a beam. Im still looking for a LEDs on ebay that spread the light beam outwards to lite interiors

Hey, not bad at all. Now you got the idea of rehabbing you'll come back in a little while and upgrade again. I do it all the time.

here is the link for the leds i bought they are just standard 5 mm leds
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110428508553&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
and here is the link to a picture to show you where i mounted them. i also have all the pictures i took of this model at this link if you surf through my pictures
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ID=294175914&albumID=1298489&imageID=18806772

what kind of Led did you use for interior lights? Most of the Leds I use are for train headlights and direct a beam. Im still looking for a LEDs on ebay that spread the light beam outwards to lite interiors

i just bought an entire rubbermaid tub of track and buildings last week and this drug store was my first victum because i wanted to remount the light but it turned into a massive project
Hey, not bad at all. Now you got the idea of rehabbing you'll come back in a little while and upgrade again. I do it all the time.

as for buildings without interiors i am thinking of building sub wall about an inch off the wall inside and painting them black so that i can light them also but not be able to see the massive void.

hint if you paint the ceiling and walls inside a building white it reflects the light to make it brighter thats what i did to the cieling inside this model

the pics attached are in progress of my next "REAHAB" project
the mulch "sawdust" was attached by applying a section of railroad tie brown paint and the pouring sawdust onto it and dumping the excess off the fence came from a fence kit and the two kids well i dont know where they came from. i apologize that i only have one pic t=but the other two wont load you may be able to find them with the pics on my myspace from the link above

oh. i used it cause i didnt have anything else but it still looks great. i just sit here and try to figure out how i can make my structures and whatnot look as realistic as the big time layouts cause that is what i aim to build eventually.

But one thing that will look even better then the sawdust is a 4-8-8-4 sitting on my main line when it is together
i meant like car loads and trucks that idea not for playgrounds

Lab Rat, do you have a real first name we can call you? Lab Rat just isn't a very appetizing handle. :)

You've got some nice work going. That Tyco drugstore was always one of my favorites, along with the Lowe's theater kit. The interior looks really good, given what you had to work with. For the outside, get some fine grit sandpaper and a popsicle stick. Wrap the sandpaper around the popsicle stick and sand down those glue spots. Paint the sidewalk with some Floquil Aged Concrete and it will look much better. The stone facing was a typical way to "modernize" older buildings in the 50's and 60's. The sandstone was just thin facing stone that was mortared on to the face of the building, usually covering an old brick wall. There were usually about three different colors of stone used, tan, darker brown, and light gray. Get a fine brush and these three colors and paint the stone in a random pattern. You'll be surprised how much that perks up the look of the building.

i was wondering how i was going to get the lue off thanks for the pointers. my name is jamie. i willl take your color ideas into consideration when i go get paint but at the moment top on my list is the big boy i have a revell model that i am taking the tender from for my rivarossi loco

Back