My "Leaser" project

kevnbety

Still learning this hobby
My latest project is turning my P2K UP SD50 into a NREX leaser. UP had dumped most of it's SD50 fleet to the lease market, so I thought "why not model one"! Here is a pic of the progress so far. I am using Microscale decals to do the transformation.

Good to see the name Union Pacific crossed out. May all their locomotives end up like that! ;-)

I TOTALLY AGREE 6000%!! To you all BNSF haters that are MILW fans lemee have you know it was UP and the Governments fault MILW is gone!!!!!!!!!

Stealing my idea! Though my next "big" project will stab someone's heart here... its a Leaser dropped by UP. I'm still looking to get Two SD50's, on UP & one CSX to make leasers out of too.

I have one of these. Except I handpainted the line lining out the UP name, and used black rub-on letters for the NREX.

I also have a C30-7 that got converted to a C36M that eventually became a leaser. I thought I posted a picture of that here a few months ago...

Kennedy

So harsh guys...ouch LOL
tsk tsk.....
Nevertheless I am and still remain devoted to Uncle Pete!
I chose UP to model because in MY opinion which I am entitled to... I felt the UP had over history a diverse mix of locos that were unique so I was intrigue with that along with the fact when I resided in Little Rock, AR at one time and I enjoyed railfanning at Jenks shop etc.
As for the fallen flags of the likes of MLW, RI, CNW, SP, DRGW, MKT, and so on I still have tremendous respect for them. If it were not for them the big name railroads wouldnt be big hence BNSF, CSX, UP, and others got where they are from these other great railroads. I dont really look at fallen flags in a negative way but more or less understand that these railroads are the "fabric" that developed what the Big RR are today.
I do not dislike any railroad...um because ah my intrest in trains are universal!
Does that make sense? What I am getting at is.. I like trains darn it! So what ever roads or heralds you support fine. But I think we all can agree on one thing... we like trains?

Last edited by a moderator:
great project. with all the leaser locomotives running the rails these days its a great idea to model one! I did something like that when I had a layout, I used an amtrak F40 to creat my own "lease company" that my railroad "leased", by crossing out amtrak and sub lettering the unit with woodland scenics dry transfers.

I agree, well done so far. :) Im working on a custom Athearn GP39 leaser. Im thinking all grey with Either NREX, or are there any others like this? Would grey be prototypically correct for NREX or maybe even FURX?

Guys the railroad business was in a poor state of affairs for years . Lots of smaller lines were merged or gobbled up. But you all have the good memories of what was once. Today I was sitting at a light . A CSX Loco was pulling Norfolk Western and Norfolk Southern Cars. You never know what will show up nowadays !!!!

I love seeing a BNSF train, with a NS engine leading, and two NREX, Ex.UP SD50's trailing, looked odd!

Kevin!

I was wondering where you'd gotten to. Are you using a prototype for this? I looked for a photo of your number or one close to it, and couldn't find one. The lowest-numbered NREX SD50 I found was in the 5060 series.

:rolleyes: :) Sorry, I just have a critical eye for prototypical models.

Matt

Hi Matt. No, i didn't look for a prototype with that number. I just used it anyway. It's good enough for me. ;)

Kevin!

Hey, that's fine with me! Do you plan on weathering this?

Check out this thread over on MTW.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean Uncle Poop? Or or "You can't spell stupid with out UP!" Sorry im getting carried away. And for Josh Delp, NERX i beleive has some ex AMTK F40's ive seen a few round these parts.

You mean Uncle Poop? Or or "You can't spell stupid with out UP!"

scratch.gif
Ehh?

you all have inspired to to do a protoypical lease unit I'm thinking I'm gonna model the LLPX 4405 its the SD40-2 that has "SD40-2" painted in big black letters on each side of the long hood

Back