My Layout Idea

Carlos, the layout you're cosidering will dominate the room's available space. That being the case (and a good thing), is there any way your Dad might allow you to take the closet doors off, build the RR like you want and use the closet for a modeling area (workbench)? :) I don't know if he could allow the loss of the storage space, but if he could, this might be your best bet. Another option would be a few staging tracks in the closet. :cool:

Let me say one more thing though. Even if the space you're allowed won't support any of the above, build the RR in what space you'll have. You've got a fun project ahead of you and we all faced the issue of less space than we wanted (except Rex:D ).

Last edited by a moderator:
The closet being closed off will most likely be out of the question. I doubt that he can even get rid of everything that's in there in the span of two years, let alone what's in the closet. My mom uses it to store seasonal clothing (right now it's full of winter coats from a trip to Europe a few years ago that never neeeded to be used again in Florida), and I was planning on storing the boxes of the rolling stock and locomotives, should there be a problem or if I had to divest myself of some of it. I also like to keep the boxes and containers for some reason, too.

...and we all faced the issue of less space than we wanted (except Rex ).

:D :D LOL Yeah, I have the space, but the downside is it will lead you to the poor house quick, wanting to fill that space. :D

Carlos, there are some good ideas working here and there have been many MR's that have built in spare bedrooms with excellent layouts. Keep this thread going with your questions and I'm sure your's will be the same.

I like the idea of SpitFire, but you still have a long reach into the corners.This can be taken care of easily by a larger or adjusted design for the operating "pit". For accessing the pit, I would narrow a section at the door and use a lift-up/out at the door. This is a narrow section that is guided in place, has track/scenery on it, and you remove it to get into the operating "pit" and then position it back in to operate. This only takes seconds. Some of these guys can give you the details in building this. It doesn't require any additional space. Even though your still young and flexible, crawling under a duckunder will still become a pain in the ... Oh yeah, what about Dad? He may want to join you.

They've done a lot of plans in the standard 10x12 bedroom; I think a couple years ago, in the Model RR Planning magazine that was the Theme. Don't have that issue handy, but somebody might dig out theirs to get some ideas.

Kennedy

The lift-up/out seems to be the best idea, since I'm 14 and 5' 4", and if my cousins are any indication, I should be near six feet in no time. You do have a point, RexHea, about the corners.

Using your suggestions and diagram, SpitFireV12RR, I re-did the design. I made a single-tracked and a double-tracked version.

Single Track
homesteadne8.jpg

Double Track
homesteadkd1.jpg

Speaking of which, I got my first paycheck today, for $75. With that, I can probably buy one and a half locomotives on eBay. :)

Carlos Perea said:
Using your suggestions and diagram, SpitFireV12RR, I re-did the design. I made a single-tracked and a double-tracked version.

Single Track
homesteadne8.jpg

Double Track
homesteadkd1.jpg

Speaking of which, I got my first paycheck today, for $75. With that, I can probably buy one and a half locomotives on eBay. :)

Carlos;

Given the size of the room, instead of a single loop, look at a twice around. It will double the run of the main, allow for wider curves, and any yards/industries etc can be easily added. Can be build relatively easy, This one's showing a diamond crossing on one side. Didn't take the time to fill in room details but it does give you about a 2-3 ft x 1 ft duckunder. Not bad really.

This is just to show another option.

Carlos, I was just pointing out that your back corners are still a long reach for you to do any work there. They will be fine if you can get up on the table and put scenery in them and then leave it, but with the track you need to make sure that you don't run it so far back that you will have trouble installing, maintenance, and getting to derailed cars. This is very important since you don't have access except from the center.

Carey has shown you that there are many interesting ways that you can layout your track. By adding curves and loops and even long snaking curves, you will have a more interesting design to run on instead of...just straight. Please keep this in mind when you start getting more detailed with your track plan. Don't forget to consider the placement of industries, towns, water, and topography that you want while doing your plan.

I took a screenshot of the area I've chosen to model from Google Earth, and added a few road and canal identifiers that weren't visible at the zoom level I was using.

homesteadny2.jpg

I'm thinking of using the trackplan that Cjcrescent posted, and running one of the canals parallel to the portion of track that will have the other track running over it in the form of a bridge, so that the bridge crosses both the other track and the canal at the same time. The only roads that I'll probably have will be U.S. 1, SW 424th St, and some access roads to the cement plant. I don't think that there will be any buildings such as houses or a shopping center (at least not on the cement plant side of the layout), since these plants can sometimes be three or four miles from the nearest major thoroughfare and surrounded by tall trees and terrain much like what's shown on the above image.

Before I modify my XTrkCad file to reflect this new design, which brand of track do you recommend I use? Right now, I've been using Kato Unitrack for the images I've posted, but their website doesn't show anything in the form of bridges, and their selection of certain things like crossings seems to be a bit limited.

I know that I have a problem with the corners, but I'm not sure about what the best method to remedy that is. The access hatch idea seems appealing, but there might be something better avaliable that I haven't heard about yet.

Carlos Perea said:
I'm thinking of using the trackplan that Cjcrescent posted,

There would be plenty of room for a passing siding and industries with a little modification. I like the twice around mainline idea. :cool:

Back