My HO "L-Shaped Switching Layout" (96"x92"(16" Shelf Width))...

My HO Layout build thread...

I took down my HO 11'x6' loop type layout a couple months ago, and time to build a new switching layout (winter is upon us....lol). I don't have my track plan 100% done yet but here we go.:cool:
nd_zps8397a860.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an overall view of my switching layout, it consists of a 96”x16” industry section(top left) and a 76”x16” yard section(bottom right). I believe the bench work is about 44” in height, so I can do switching from a chair and have a realistic view(IMO).
IMG_90782_zps2fcab76c.jpg

Here is a view of the industry section.
IMG_9081 (2).jpg

Here is a view down to the scrap yard. I am using a Bachman car repair shop as a scrap building, I am pondering making it only two doors to give more room for ground cover or etc. (#15124).
IMG_9074 (2).jpg

The two BN box cars on the left will were the loading docks are, two reefers will be on that track as well.
IMG_9071 (2).jpg

View of the grain elevator(>>LINK<<)
IMG_9075 (2).jpg

I know, too much power for a switching layout but I hope to do ops involving one 6 axle loco, 2 rolling stock and one caboose to the industry section.
IMG_9070 (2).jpg

I know, too much power for a switching layout but I hope to do ops involving one 6 axle loco, 2 rolling stock and one caboose to the industry section.

Nah, no such thing as too much green!
Looks like you could keep two crews busy, looking good!

I forgot to mention but a lot of the cork that is down right now will have to come up. :)

Decided not to use the big 3 stall car repair building but a Pikestuff building...hopefully this allow me to get more area for grass, scarp and a fence.
2.jpg

Put the grain elevator at the end of the section. This should allow for me to put a road with a small parking lot in.
1.jpg

More room for road and grass, definitely put in a crossing gate. :)
3.jpg

Not sure about the track the BN loco is on, just a track for the loco and the caboose to sit on during switching.
4.jpg

Got some cork down tonight, I just use tacks and some fancy $1 store glue. :)
IMG_9720 (2).jpg

Getting excited to run some trains.
IMG_9717 (2).jpg

Two sections down.
IMG_9736 (2).jpg

The $1 store glue had a cool flat spot to aid in applying on a flat surface.
IMG_9725 (2).jpg

Here is my newest loco, it's a Athearn Genesis GP38-2(DCC&Sound)....the sound is amazing and rolls really smooth.

Here are some better pictures, need to get better lights in the layout room...this is from my photo booth.
IMG_9741 (2).jpg

The beacon is too cool, works well.
IMG_9746 (2).jpg
IMG_9737 (2).jpg
IMG_9742 (2).jpg

Got some track down.
IMG_9754 (2).jpg

Engine tracks will not be raised on cork, not a fan of not using cork because it not as easy to get up later if I change things but oh well.
IMG_9773 (2).jpg
IMG_9757 (2).jpg

The radius will have a yard tower and a road crossing.
IMG_9758 (2).jpg

Main line has cork, got a 2% ramp in...just need to lay the track, I need to get a small drill bit for track nail to nail down the track.
IMG_9771 (2).jpg

Picked up new excavator at a train show this weekend, I am pretty excited...it's hard to find a scrap type excavator.
IMG_9763 (2).jpg

Close up shot.
IMG_9766 (2).jpg

IMG_9761 (2).jpg

View of the grain elevator section, I decided to keep the loco lead.
IMG_9768 (2).jpg

IMG_9770 (2).jpg

For the 2% grade into the lower sections I glued a 2% Woodland Scenics grade on to a piece of paper and then cut in half.
IMG_9775 (2).jpg

IMG_9774 (2).jpg

Back