My Gateway into the CB&CNS layout

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
It's been at least a week since I received a request for information regarding the my gate into the layout area. This is my third attempt after locating and uploading the photos to Photobucket. One lost file and a blue screen tonight so I'll be backing up each chapter.
The idea of this gate is not my own but one from a website by Wayne Roderick and THE TETON SHORT LINE http://www.tslrr.com/doorduck.htm a worthwhile read.

This first photo is of the gate partially opened, you can see how the ends and track are cut at a 30 deg angle.
100-0002_IMG.jpg

My gate is heavily constructed and I used two regular door hinges. When the gate is closed we have perfect alignment (without adjustments) however my gate is not a one finger operation to open or close
100-0001_IMG.jpg

In this shot you can see the hinges, its a heavy gate and sags a bit on the hinges when the gate is open, however when the gate is closed the weight is all on the bench-work and not on the hinges.
GuardRail1.jpg

In this shot the yard is to the left and the gate is to the right. It also shows the guard rails which keep the wheels on one side of the truck on uncut rail while the opposite side passes over the opposite rail cut. You can also see the wire and contacts to transfer power to the gate when closed.
105-0590_IMG.jpg

A better view of the the rails in the same area
ClosureHinge.jpg

Again this is the electrical contacts on the hinged side of the gate. The contacts are just (shingle/tar paper) nails with the wire soldered to the tips. The springs are miscellaneous small springs that fit over the nails.
GateTopClose.jpg

This shot of the opening end of the gate, there's a bit more to it. It's easy to see here how the full weight of the gate will be supported by the bench work. The locking assembly is necessary because of humidity expansion and contraction. Although it doesn't prevent expansion and contraction it does hold the cut ends together.

105-0586_IMG.jpg

On the opposite side of piece "A" the gate rides up on an incline, in addition to supporting the gate it also keeps the position of the gate closure locked.

GateClosing.jpg

The leaf springs carry power to the right side of the layout through the spring loaded stationary contacts. These contacts supply power to the main trackage but not the first few feet of the approach track

GateOpen.jpg

The red wire to the cupboard door catch supply s power to the rails on the bridge approach and to the bridge tracks when the gate is closed.

Catch2.jpg

It's been a hard day, I know I haven't covered it all so I'll check back to se what confusion I've left in this post

Cheers
Willis

Nice! If I were ever to do a movable section, I think I'd go with a lateral motion like yours rather than vertical like a swing up bridge.

Back