My first weathering attempt (RUST)

Maxitrains

This is my first weathering attempt, I ams till working on this tank, but took a break since so far it took me 1 hour to achive that. I'm also using the wrong brush, cause its very soft and cannot apply paint very well.

Kindly post comments and tips on how I can improve the look of it.

I still cannot simulate small chips of paint with dripping/streaky rust.

weathering_tank.png

Try using a finer brush and a really steady hand. Like I was saying, if you use the artist oil paints I was talking about, you can just wash them off with Turpenoid (witin a reasonable amount of time;) ) You may also want to try some cheap pastel chalks ground into powder. By brushing them (or applying them in a number of different ways) you can simulate worn paint, rust, and other texture to further enhance it. Try not to overdo it though like I have done on alot of my stuff...Hope that helps!

-Rich

Well as I said, this is my first attempt, and I'm using waterbased acrylics for this, I'm still experimenting with colours, because for that piece I used about six different colours, I will post another picture soon, to show the difference of the paint after it completely dries.

I will keep on following and looking for some forums and places where they are dedicated on weathering.

Thanks

Here's my other attempt of weathing, I'm still far from the real thing :S
Could someone guide me where I'm going wrong?

weathering_tank2_2.jpg

Here's my other attempt of weathing, I'm still far from the real thing :S
Could someone guide me where I'm going wrong?

weathering_tank2_2.jpg

LOL! I really don't understand...Perhaps it looks differnet on your side, but from what I can see, it looks better than most other rust attempts I've ever seen. Perhaps someone else can help, because that looks pretty damn perfect to me....;)

-Rich

Actually, the rust colors themselves look great. What you have to do is think about the physics and chemistry of rust. Rust first attacks areas that water or moisture is allowed to stand. The means seams and rivets first. You will see some rust in these areas in cars a year or two old. Next, the rust will attack areas where the sun fades and thins the paint. The top of the car is usually the first place. You will often see freight cars that have the top pretty rusty but the rest of the car doesn't have much rust. You will see rust colored streaks in the sides of the car as rain carries the dissolved rust down any vertical surface. The problem with your tank car is the rust on top isn't really connected to the rust on the sides and that seam running along the tank car should also have rust streaks staining the side of the car.

It's really easy to overdue rust with paints. I know, I've done it many times. :) I only use chalks for rust now since I can control them much better than paint and I can blend the colors to mix the rust with the underlying color of the car. When you spray the car with a Dulcote type sealer, it reduces that apparent effect of the weathering by about half, which is usually about right. With chalks, you can also use a wet rag and just wipe them off and start over. Saves a lot of cars that get in the junk box otherwise.

Give chalks (sometimes called artist's pastels) a try as an alternative to paint. I think you're getting the idea, you just need to make it so the rust isn't the predominant feature of of your tank car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Max. I think your rust color looks really good. I agree with UP2CXS though, about where the rust is situated.On the sides of the car there usually isn't heavy rust but streaking instead.Another thing you might want to try is to fade the car first before you add the rust. Most cars that are rusted are older and faded as well. Just a THIN wash of paint makes a big difference in the look. Just a little rust goes a long way in making a car look old and used. Go on some of the sites that feature freight car pictures and look at how the prototypes weather. By the way I can tell you have been working on your technique as this car is a big improvement on the first car. Keep it up. Ron

OK here we go again, after my last attempt, I cleaned my dummy tank and started allover again. here's my 5th attempt

weathering_tank2_5b.jpg

Much improved indeed. The only suggestion I have is to extend the rust down more in streaks rather than blotches.

You know, when I look at that tanker I see one that spends a lot of time around a chemical plant where the air can be acidic and attack the car's paint all over. So, I like the sides just fine, but I believe the top is a too heavy. The frame looks good and would rust-up from spillage, splash, and etc.

OK here's another update, still experimenting, but I like all the feedback I'm getting, because I'm learning and getting ideas from them.

This is my first streaking attempt, it might look like its bleeding, but I like to leave it as it is, watch it carefully then learn what colour should be added to make it more real.

weathering_tank2_6.jpg

Good, you've got the streaking concept down fine. Now you just need to back off on the intensity. Get a cloth with a very small amount of paint thinner and rub it gently on those thick areas of rust on the side. It will lighten the color and extend the streaks down at a a natural angle.

Perfect! The rust now looks like it comes from a spot with no paint and streaks nicely down the sides. Now, just do that with every other car you ever have that you want to make look rusty and you'll have it. :)

Back