DSCF1532.sized.jpg

And the Amtrak was stripped out:
DSCF1671.sized.jpg

And then the prototype's current status was discovered (Ken Harrison Photo):
HLCX_4408_4407_7_10_04.sized.jpg

And the masking commenced:
DSCF1684.sized.jpg

DSCF1685.sized.jpg

A handy spray can of Testors Silver Enamel was employed (no, not in the bathroom, outside, but the bathroom was a better location to let it dry):
DSCF1687.sized.jpg

DSCF1690.sized.jpg

And finally, it dried:
DSCF1693.sized.jpg

DSCF1694.sized.jpg

Being this is a beat-up lessor, I'm not too worried about any bleed-throughs or minor smearing. Next up is finding HLCX decals, and then dullcoating the whole thing, since you can tell that the prototype is definiately not silver anymore - it's much more gray.

It will be 4408 - Original idea was 4414, but that interferes address-wise with my other locomotive.

Hmm! I can remember typing a post to this thread, but danged if I can see it. Probably didn't click on submit,
doh2.gif
yep that'd do it.
Hi Jeff, it looks good, but a bit newer that the pics of the prototype :D a spray of Dullcoat will fix that. Just wondering about the little strip of blue around the cab! Are you going to silver that out with a brush?
Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan said:
Hmm! I can remember typing a post to this thread, but danged if I can see it. Probably didn't click on submit,
doh2.gif
yep that'd do it.
Hi Jeff, it looks good, but a bit newer that the pics of the prototype :D a spray of Dullcoat will fix that. Just wondering about the little strip of blue around the cab! Are you going to silver that out with a brush?
Cheers Willis

Agreed on the color and it's treatment, and I'll probably paint out that little blue stripe as well. It does kinda stand out.

JeffShultz said:
Being this is a beat-up lessor, I'm not too worried about any bleed-throughs or minor smearing. Next up is finding HLCX decals, and then dullcoating the whole thing, since you can tell that the prototype is definiately not silver anymore - it's much more gray.

Don't know about decals, but I'm planning on using dry transfer decals for the HLCX on my leasers. I've done that on the SD-50 and C36M leasers for the 'under the cab' lettering; and I'm going to try that for the long hood lettering. The long hood lettering will need care, since it isn't a smooth side. I'll have to scrounge up a good burnishing tool...

Kennedy

Excellent job. I love these rent-a-wreck leasors, they're so easy to model. Makes me kind of wish my prototype still had more rent-a-wrecks on the system than they do now.

If you can't find the proper decals have your LHS check with Walthers for VIRNEX decals.They have the proper font and don't need a glossy surface to apply them.They also have no decal film to hide.

Back