My first "major" modeling project

RailroadJeep

2711 & 2189 L-NWE8621
In my process of getting back into HO, I've been going through what remained of my collection after the sell off after I had gotten out of HO. To my surpirse, I found my SP 7380.

This was the first major project I ever took on, she's hand painted (I had no airbrush back then), decaled, and detailed her to my abilty's.

Looking back now, I realize that SP didnt have any true SD40-2's, so my 7380 should have been built off a SD40. But I was only like 14 or 15 when I modeled her, so what did I know!? Later on, when I finnaly got an airbrush, she recieved a nice heavy coat of classic SP grime :p .

Since she was in storage for awhile, some things got broken off or were lost. Like the rotary beacon and sunshades, as well as the MU hoses. But she'll get fixed up with some new parts and a decoder and be back in action before long! Anyways, I thoought I'd share some pictures of my SP 7380:

That's an Athearn? I can tell by the handrails. How's she run? You might want to take it out for a run to get it back in shape. I guess it might need a lube job ;)

Bill

B_Kosanda said:
That's an Athearn? I can tell by the handrails. How's she run? You might want to take it out for a run to get it back in shape. I guess it might need a lube job ;)

Bill
Yup, thats an Athearn alright! I'd need to take it apart to clean and relube before I ran her again. Surprisingly, it still runs as nicely as I remember, smooth and relativly quiet (for an Athearn!)

Still, when I put the decoder in, I think I'll upgrade it to a Proto Power West or NWSL motor, or something to that effect. I still like Athearn for projects like this, although now I think I'll go with can motors when I re-work them with details and what not.

Back